Question Need help, new GPU

Jun 27, 2022
Hello,
I m currently looking to buy I new GPU (probably a 3070 or 3070ti, 8go) and I need to know what I need to change in my old configuration in order to make the new GPU work fine.
I already now that I need a new new power supply.
Here is my actual configuration,

PS : Note that I'm not looking for the MEGA ULTIMATE CONFIGURATION, I just want something that works, my budget is not unlimited.

CPU : Intel Core i5 7500 3.40GHz
Mother board : MSI B250 PC MATE
RAM : 2* 8 GO Corsair 1066 MHz

Thanks for your help

Hello,
I m currently looking to buy I new GPU (probably a 3070 or 3070ti, 8go) and I need to know what I need to change in my old configuration in order to make the new GPU work fine.
I already now that I need a new new power supply.
Here is my actual configuration,

PS : Note that I'm not looking for the MEGA ULTIMATE CONFIGURATION, I just want something that works, my budget is not unlimited.

CPU : Intel Core i5 7500 3.40GHz
Mother board : MSI B250 PC MATE
RAM : 2* 8 GO Corsair 1066 MHz

Thanks for your help

What you have sounds fine. But you'll need to see if your PSU has enough juice. I would aim for a QUALITY 750Watt PSU. Don't cut corners here.

Reactions: Worms123 and Eximo
Jun 27, 2022
What you have sounds fine. But you'll need to see if your PSU has enough juice. I would aim for a QUALITY 750Watt PSU. Don't cut corners here.
Thanks for you quick answer, I was thinking 600 or 650 Watt, you think it won't be enough? (I have 430 for the moment and I know its far too low).
Other wise the rest looks fine for you?
Thanks again

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The above is good advice.

What do you have now? What resolution will you play at?

An older quad core is going to have an impact in a lot of the more recent titles. 3070 or 3070ti is perfectly capable of 1440p and lighter 4K. If you are running 1080p, you will be able to max out the graphics, but the CPU is likely to limit FPS output in games.

You can pick up an i7-7700 (to gain 4 threads) for under a hundred dollars on ebay, so if you can drop down to the 3070 and pick that up, that might be of more benefit.

750W Gold of good quality for the 3070Ti (290W), the 3070 (220W) is a lot lighter and 650W would be acceptable. 3070Ti is the start of the big cards, 3080 and up really needs an 850W, though a lighter system like yours could get away with 750W. 3090 and 3090Ti really deserve a 1000W unit, but that is only because they tend to be paired with 16 core CPUs, since money is no object to those buying them.

Reactions: Worms123
Jun 27, 2022
The above is good advice.

What do you have now? What resolution will you play at?

An older quad core is going to have an impact in a lot of the more recent titles. 3070 or 3070ti is perfectly capable of 1440p and lighter 4K. If you are running 1080p, you will be able to max out the graphics, but the CPU is likely to limit FPS output in games.

You can pick up an i7-7700 (to gain 4 threads) for under a hundred dollars on ebay, so if you can drop down to the 3070 and pick that up, that might be of more benefit.

750W Gold of good quality for the 3070Ti (290W), the 3070 (220W) is a lot lighter and 650W would be acceptable. 3070Ti is the start of the big cards, 3080 and up really needs an 850W, though a lighter system like yours could get away with 750W. 3090 and 3090Ti really deserve a 1000W unit, but that is only because they tend to be paired with 16 core CPUs, since money is no object to those buying them.
Hi! Thanks for your answer,
For the moment I ve a GeForce 1060 3Go ^^, I don't have a 4k screen so I'm running 1080p and if I understand well, as I am in 1080p the 3070ti is not justified, correct?
And one other question, wich brand or model would you recommand for a 3070?
thanks again

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would be looking at 100FPS or more in every game that Tom's Hardware tested: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-review

Keep in mind they used a high end CPU in their testing. The 3070 is also on that list, and you can see that it also does quite well at 1080p at Ultra settings.

Brand isn't super important, what you want to do is look at the price and the cooler.

1. You have to make sure it fits in your chassis (Some are thicker just over 2 slots thick, some are closer to 2.75 slots thick and length varies considerably between 2 fan and 3 fan designs)
  2. You will want to make sure the PSU has the appropriate power connectors (shouldn't be a problem with a 750W supply)
  3. The larger coolers are likely to have higher boost potential than the ones with smaller coolers, regardless of listed max boost clocks. GPU boost 3.0 will take the card as high as power and temperature will allow. And you can always overclock if there is additional headroom.

At this exact moment, I would probably look at the MSI Ventus for a shorter card(2 fan). But would look at the MSI Gaming Z Trio (3 fan) if you have room. I'm partial to the looks of EVGA cards and the XC3 black is only ten bucks more than the cheapest. A fairly long card like the Trio. Gigabyte Gaming OC is also worth considering. Prices start to ramp up rapidly from there.