Question Need Help! New Parts and Now my Computer Wont Turn On

Jan 30, 2020
A couple of days ago I got an :
Intel i9900k CPU
Z390-A Pro mobo
4x8 GB Corsaire Vengeance RAM
Aorus Rtx 2070 GPU.
The computer would only crash when I played MHW. for the past 4 days. Then it started to crash and say Windows had an error booting up and not boot up for an hour. NOW if the computer wont turn on if the CPU is in the motherboard with the case closed. What do I need to do to have a working PC again? Please help before I lose my mind.

Who's exaggerating? I've been a tech for 11 years and been building systems for over 20, and have a bachelor's degree in computers. Don't know what your qualifications are. But again, trying to boot with no heatsink is not a good idea. Period.

As was stated earlier, sounds like unfortunately your cooler was not sufficient and that perhaps your CPU has overheated and given up. If your lucky maybe your motherboard is what's having trouble. Only way to know is try the CPU in a working board and see if it boots, and maybe another CPU in your current board.

Edit. Did a little more reading and it looks like someone else had an issue with the hyper 212 where the hyper 212 must have been pressing down to hard on their CPU and was shorting it out. If you happen to have another cooler, that may be a good idea. But I don't think the 9900k came with one.

If you are able to test and find the 9900k needs rma, I would give Intel as little information as possible so that hopefully they would replace your CPU without questions.

Last edited:
tests were done years ago and the rate of temp increase with no heatsink can be 60-100C per second, as CPU's are so small and light there is no thermal mass to slow the rate of temp change down, so you are pushing 70W through 5-10g? of material. It will heat up very very quickly.

Take it out of the case and breadboard it, minimal components, but a HSF is essential.

The heat capacity of copper is 386J/Kg/C for a 5g lump of copper that's 1.9Joules of energy needed to increase the temp by 1C running at 90W (which it could be in bios with few limits applied) that'll be 45C per second, so in 5 secs it could hit nearly 250C, and may not be quick enough to throttle. Silicon is a little better. Aluminum better still. A wafer however is 168J/kg/C, so that'll be > 90C/second.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
Is there a way to send a video?
tests were done years ago and the rate of temp increase with no heatsink can be 60-100C per second, as CPU's are so small and light there is no thermal mass to slow the rate of temp change down, so you are pushing 70W through 5-10g? of material. It will heat up very very quickly.

Take it out of the case and breadboard it, minimal components, but a HSF is essential.

The heat capacity of copper is 386J/Kg/C for a 5g lump of copper that's 1.9Joules of energy needed to increase the temp by 1C running at 90W (which it could be in bios with few limits applied) that'll be 45C per second, so in 5 secs it could hit nearly 250C, and may not be quick enough to throttle. Silicon is a little better. Aluminum better still. A wafer however is 168J/kg/C, so that'll be > 90C/second.