Need HELP! Newly built pc blue screen, fried processor?

vExcise

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
This may be long, but here goes the story.

I recently decided i wanted to build my own pc after owning several different lap tops in the past to play my games on. This was my first build ever, but watched newegg's youtube videos on assembly and got it working my first try. I purchased all of my parts at Microcenter on Friday, 3/28/14 and promptly put it together the next day.

It worked fine all of sunday. I decided to move it from where I assembled it, onto my computer desk on monday. It then worked for about 2 hours and then blue screened and now i can't get it any farther in the boot than about 1-2 seconds before it restarts and tries again to boot and continues like this till I cut its power.

However about 5 hours later I opened it up and realized the heat sink fan was not spinning as I had not removed the cord from the clips on the side of the fan (first time builder problems?). This leads me to believe the processor (an intel i5 4670k) is now fried. It was powered on probably about 10 hours before the blue screen happened, and 10 hours without a heat sink fan running (i think, not positive, but I'm 90% sure it was not spinning).

After this, I opened the case up, unplugged and replugged everything in and got the power sink fan running this time, and it booted up and was nearly into my game, WoW before it blue screened again, and now constantly tries to start up and turns off as stated above. I did notice it running slower. I do not know what the blue screen error was.

Here I am writing this thread now. My questions I have about this situation is:

-Is the cpu fried and the cause of the blue screens, even though it worked for a few minutes once?
-Is this mishap covered on microcenter or intels warranties at all?
-Is there anything I can check to see if it is in fact fried?
-what else may be the cause of this?

Everything else seemed to work well when it did come on for ~3 minutes. Fans running, lights on mother board, graphics looking nice still (have a geforce 770 gpu).

This is probably a very nooby thing to have done and should feel bad, but I need an answer. Again, purchased everything about 4 days ago from microcenter.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
If your CPU had overheated to the point of taking damage your PC would've shut itself off.

If I was you I would take apart the PC (or at least the CPU cooler and CPU itself), then clean it well from the thermal paste. Reapply new thermal paste and make sure I install the cooler properly this time, then go to BIOS and restore its setting to default and check CPU temperatures while you are at it, then and finally reinstall Windows.

If after all this PC is still acting up I would be more concerned about the MoBo being damaged than the CPU itself.

That's what I would do if I were you.

vExcise

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

It did shut itself off the first couple times. I also did apply new paste and put the cooler on correctly. I can't get to BIOS because it only gives me 1-2 seconds before it turns off again.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
I'm shooting in the dark now but - have you connected all the cables from the PSU to the motherboard?

Also you could try clearing CMOS by either the jumper on your motherboard (check the MoBo manual) or just remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds.

I'm not sure I'm helping much but just giving ideas that come to my mind.