Need Help - No USB Devices Are Recognized on Boot

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hello,

I am in desperate need of some help.

My PC has been running flawlessly for over a year, but three days ago all USB devices suddenly stopped being recognized.

I am constantly stuck at the Windows start up screen and unable to login.

Initially I thought it was due to a Windows update, and read a number of threads about people experiencing similar issues being stuck at the login screen. I followed troubleshooting instructions to no avail.

Then I realized that when I restart the PC I am unable to access the bios via keyboard commands either.

I cleared the CMOS to reset the motherboard and when rebooting received a message saying no keyboard or mice were plugged in (but they were).

Everything seems to be fine other than the lack of USB ports being recognized.

My keyboard (Corsair K70) powers up via USB but is not recognized.

I am totally stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
MSI z370 A-Pro
i7 8700 non-k
Corsair DDR4 8gb x2
Zotac AMP 1080ti
Win 10 64 bit installed on a Samsung 960 Evo Nvme
2 SSDs and 2 HDDs on Sata

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I can't even find a PS/2 keyboard in my market to buy online.

It looks like the board is bad. I've spent at least 6 hours trouble shooting and cannot get a single port to respond.

After 9 years of PC building I've never experienced this. Is this common for boards to simply fail after a year of steady use?

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks, man.

I'll see if I can find one to see if it is a driver issue. I'm in Singapore now and options are limited since the market is small.

I guess I will look at RMAing to MSI, but will probably go back to ASRock. The markup here is crazy though.

I'm plugged in to a halfway decent surge protector but occasionally get some odd popping sounds when plugging into the PSU.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
It is a pretty high end Japanese PSU - Scythe Chouriki 650w plug in (aka modular). 80+ Gold rated. I cannot find info on it in English it was a Japan only model. It lasted me through three builds but I probably bought it in 2010 or possibly 11. So it is past its 7 year guarantee.

It has been solid but I suppose i am due for a replacement.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks again for all of your help!

I'm trying to find one. It looks like shipping from Hong Kong or China is my only option. There are no local sellers... Not sure how much longer I can manage with just my laptop.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi gdmaclew,

So the PS/2 keyboard arrived and I was able to login to the system to take a look at the issue.

Once Windows was up and running I could check out the device manager.

My USB controller was showing up as failing with error "code 10".

I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled. No luck; still failed. Tried updating the chipset driver with the same result.

When entering the bios my none of my USB ports worked either. At this point it was clear I had exhausted all options.

I ended up ordering an ASUS TUF z370 Plus Gaming board with same day Prime delivery from Amazon Singapore. (best priced option with the features I needed)

Swapped out the board and I was up and running again in about 90 minutes.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!