NEED help , Oblivion error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypnotoad12

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Hey i just bought Elder scrolls IV Oblivion, sure i installed it. But then i started up the game and it came up with a black screen in the top left corner and a popup came up saying "Oblivion has encounterd a problem and has to close". When i saw this , this pissed me off so much. :fou: I feel like ive thrown 50 bucks down the toilet and did a big turd on it.Ive tried reinstalling, everything in the options. Ive even tried oldblivion, still nothing.This is not game of the year edition

I NEED HELP

This is my adapter :hello:

:sol: Hightech Excalibur Radeon 9600 :sol:

vincio_filiarum

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Right, Hypnotoad... first things first: Oblivion does crash occasionally. Or a lot. Particularly with many mods. It's been doing this since it came out 18 months ago and will probably do so for years to come. It is an incredibly complex game and some errors are the price you pay for that complexity; it's called pushing the boundaries, and if you don't like that, stick to pac-man.

Second, because of its complexity, and the astonishing beauty of the game, it's capable of bringing a computer to its knees. Less so now; but back in the day, you needed powerful hardware to run it smoothly, and even now, mid-rage Gfx cards can only do that at 1280*1024, not at higher resolutions.

Now your problem is probably a combination of both... so heres a fe questions, 'cause you've not provided us with any details at all, really.

First: Have you installed a fresh copy ojn a new hard drive (you answered yes)
Second: Have you installed the latest patches for the game from http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm
Because you've not told us your country, you'll have to choose which one is applicable to you; I assume Yankland, 'cause of the word bucks, but Aussies use bucks too, so I'm making no assumptions. I'm from the UK, for example.

Third: After installing all patches, have you defragged your hard drive. Oblivion likes that.

Now, if it still doesn't work, we need to know the rest of your system, not just the Gfx adapter. I'll say right now that your adapter isn't really powerful enough to do it (unless its a 9600XT) but we'll get on to that.

CPU: What CPU do you have: Make (eg AMD) Model (eg X2) and speed (eg 4800+)
Gfx Card: OK, you've told us the Make, and the model, but not the designation. Not all Radeon 9600's were equal, they all had different clockspeeds\pipelines\fillrates and texture RAM. These differences were articulated by the model number at the end of the 9600. Please tell us if it were a 9600XT , a 9600pro, a 9600LE or anything else. a 9600XT is just about enough to run Oblivion at 800*600 (I know, 'cause I did it) but nomne of the other 9600's were.

Resolution: What resolution is your monitor. Not the size - although if all else fails we can make a guess from that - but the clarity that you wish to play the game at. for example I play Oblivion at 1920*1080 on a 42" HDTV. Whats yours?

How much RAM do you have, and what speed is it, and is it dual-channel or not. Use CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
to tell us the first two; tell us how mabny sticks you've got and the motherboard for the rest. Oblivion will not like 512Mb of System Ram. Hell, Windows doesnt.

After all that, we might be able to make some suggestions, but I'll add two more things:

First, are all your drivers up-to-date, and is Windows running the latest DirectX version (9.0c for XP; 10 for Vista)
Second: Are you using antivirus\firewall, if so, which ones. try disabling them beforehand; and more importantly, if you're using Norton (which in my experience eats resources like a starving man in a buffet). If your system barely scrapes the minimum requirements - and that 9600 is likely to be below the minimum requirements - then something like Norton will push it under and hold it there 'till it chokes.

Now I'm not gonna sugar-coat it for you: if your system is of a similar vintage to the 9600, you may well not be able to play it without:
a) installing Oldblivion - which you've tried, and thats good - but it looks no-where near as nice
or b) spending money on a new rig. Which souns harsh - but Oblivion ain't a new game and most games that have come out in the 18 months since are even more demanding (BioShock, Crysis, Medieval 2, Dark Massiah, some old, some new, all requiring more complex stuff to run smoothly).

Luckily, peeps here can help you with that. I dunno if you have the money... but thats a seperate issue.

Anyways, apologies for length, but that should point you in the right direction.

Cool name by the way. Futurama's brilliant.

SylenThunder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
with the Radeon 9600 you are going to have a problem with the pixel shaders. Do a search for "oldblivion" (yes that's spelled correctly) It will allow you to play oblivion using the older pixel shaders that your card can handle. Keep in mind, that card is way under what you need to play oblivion with. it's playable with oldblivion, but won't look great. you'll also want to do some heavy modding to the oblivion.ini file, and there are some mods for oblivion that will take dome of the load off your card. I had a radeon 9600 pro 256mg and dumped it after a couple months of playing oblivion on it. I now have an x1600 512mg and can play Oblivion at about 20-30fps with everything cranked all the way up. If I keep the settings at a nice medium I get into the wonderful zone in the lower 60's. I'll dig through some of my old mods if you wand and can recommend the best for improving your fps when you get it running.

vincio_filiarum

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
My 9600XT worked fine, straight from the off. Not very well, but didn't crash (much) or anything.

But yea, improved video card - 1950 pro is my choice, but depends on stuff - is the way forward.

Hypnotoad12

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
This is my adapter: Hightech excalibur Radeon 9600, ive also got a secoundary of that version to, ive installed the newest patch, dun help at all but here is some of the requested info and a bit more just incase. Hope you can help

My proccesor is a AMD Athlon XP2400+, MMX, 3D Now, ~2.0GHz

My Direct X is 9.0c

Memory:512MB RAM

MY DRIVERS

Main driver ati2dvag.dll

Date: 2/11/07

DEVICE

ATI technologys inc.

I have a plug and play monitor

And i have no problems with the sound card.

also ive deffraged

Also my computer was formatted quite a while ago if that helps with anything.
Im in australia though, the stuff ive done hasnt helped :pfff:
aparently my computer is just at the minimal requirements

vincio_filiarum

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
This is my adapter: Hightech excalibur Radeon 9600

Yea... but I asked for the model number...which is the key part. The 9600XT will run it, but nothing else bearing the 9600 moniker. If we look here:

http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/his.html

then we'll see there are 3 cards which fit that description.... ahhhh hang on.... yes, there is just a base "9600/9600pro" model... which in the absence of anything else you presumably have.

And as they ain't the XT model, yer screwed. I'm gonna check up on OLDBlivion now - I've never had to use it (9600XT worked all-right; then I switched to 7800GS and then x1950pro so no need)

vincio_filiarum

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Right - an apology - first off, the official forums here:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=736245

contradict me and claim that technically, you can play the game. Although it suggests OldBlivion to do it well.

You're right,, your system scrapes the minimum requirements. But on the Oldblivion hopmepage:

Tested cards include:
# Radeon 9550
# Radeon 9200 series
# Radeon 9000 series

I assume the 9600 is but I'da thought it would have been mentioned... but I'd assumne so.

Erm... right - heres a suggestion:

Go to Run OblivionLauncher.exe and make sure your card appears in Options under the Adapter pull down. Also make sure that all graphics settings are at their lowest level.

give it a go then

G

hello, I m experiencing the same problem.... However my system is way above the requirements....The case is that I 've been playing oblivion for 3 weeks,high resolution, perfectly steady behavior ... However I decided to change from Vista to XP.... And now,with the XP,the game cannot recognize my adapter...It is exactly what vincio filarur said...Anyone able to help me, how I can make the game recognize my adapter????

G

I have error to in oblivion.when i install the game on half game it say error data.cab 3 i don't know what to do can someone tell me how to fix this please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS