Need Help on Build Advice which Contains Odd Parts

Apr 23, 2018
I wanted to build a cheap gaming PC so I originally planned to buy a refurbished office computer, and then put it in a new case with a gpu. I was able to get a gtx 960 2gb from a friend. I also got a Ranger R4 R for the case. This is the specification of the PC that I bought (https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-9010-core-i5-3550-3-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/). I hope that links are okay here. I then realized the PSU wasn't going to be enough so I got a Evga 600B.

After I started putting those parts into the new case, I ran into many issues. The motherboard only partially fits in (it fits but only a fraction of the screws line up). The majority of the front panel cable do not fit into the motherboard. I would have no USB 3 ports and none of the front buttons would work.

I know no way to make the cables work. I think that I will just need to buy a new cpu, motherboard, and cpu cooler. Which would you recommend to go with my RAM and GPU? I would like some sort of room for improvement. Will my RAM have some odd compatibility issues like the motherboard and cpu of the original unit? Ideally, if I need to buy those 3 parts, the total would be under $300. Thank you for any help and apologies if I've broken any community rules.

g-unit1111

Titan
That is almost *NEVER* the way to save money because in the end you'll wind up spending more than if you had just gone with buying standard components. If you're building a computer, you should always buy components that are fit for the case, and the reason being is that a lot of PCs like that have a lot of proprietary components that wont fit in regular, standard components. There is a chance that your motherboard may work but you would have to buy all new cables, and other accessories that you wouldn't otherwise need if you had just built it with standard components.

Apr 23, 2018

Yeah you're right, i just realized it too late. I guess the only plus is that I learned alot about the parts through me trying to figure out why it doesn't work.

g-unit1111

Titan

The main reason why is most Dells use a lot of proprietary components so if you try to put proprietary components into a standard case you could run into issues with wiring, CPU cooling, and a whole host of other problems.

TRENDING THREADS