Need help on choosing correct UPS VA rating

skaz

Distinguished
Hello,

I've been on the fence for some time now on purchasing a UPS for my main computer. I feel the trigger finger ready to snap and have done a decent amount of research on the subject. But I need to feel rock solid secure about the VA rating I choose so I thought I'd ask for your opinion on the matter.

My total wattage for the system components that would be connected to the UPS would be 582. This number does not use the peak wattage of the PSU but the peak wattage of the actual components within the computer. But assuming I upgraded to the point of using close to peak wattage of the PSU my total system wattage would then be 752. This includes computer, monitor, speakers, modem, router, and external storage.

So from basic research I would want to shoot for a VA rating of 1350 or more ( 810 watts). But then I think to myself, what about for the future? I know eventually I'm going to upgrade my system components which will most likely use more power. But then I think to myself a second thought, I probably don't use anything close to peak wattage. So maybe I would be good with a UPS rated at 1350 VA. Sigh.

To sum it up = With the information I provided, am I safe to think that even with future upgrades in the years to come, that I would be okay with a UPS rated at around 1300VA? The price difference between say a 1300VA and 1500VA ups is dramatic so I want to make sure I make the best decision.

Thanks for reading and the help. :sol:

my i7 single video card system system draws around 330w normally or 450-500 when gaming. i dont use a monitor but a tv so it perhaps draws more than your screen would, around 100-150w i would guess.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1300G&total_watts=200

i have this particular 1300va/780w unit and even at idle it only supplies power for about 7-8 minutes of use. this is enough to shut the computer down but that is about it.

if you want a system capable of much more time online then you will want a much much more powerful and expensive solution. however, i found that the price of such units is way too expensive for any single home computer unless its absolutely vital to business.

skaz

Distinguished

My main purpose for the the UPS is to serve clean power to the computer. Not only from spikes but from things like brown outs. I just didn't want to over load the UPS in case for some reason the power did go out during intense computing.