[SOLVED] Need help on how to plug a RGB PSU and RGB Fan into RGB LED Headers & Addressable LED Headers

fbagnato

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
Hello,

I am looking to buy a ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard.

I am going to buy a "Gamdias Kratos Addressable RGB 500W" power supply. It has "RGB motherboard sync (5V 3-pin), addressable RGB lighting". To control this power supply lighting with ASRock Polychrome RGB do I plug the power supply into the "Addressable LED Header" on the motherboard?

Next question is about the case fan I am going to buy which is a "Gamdias AEOLUS (M1A-1201) 120mm single Addressable-RGB Gaming Case Fan". It has a "5V 3-pin RGB header". To control this fan's lighting with ASRock Polychrome RGB do I plug the fan into one of the two "RGB LED Headers" on the motherboard?

If I am incorrect what do I need to do to get the power supply and fan lighting controlled by ASRock Polychrome RGB?

If both need to plug onto the "Addressable LED Header" on the motherboard do I need to buy a "1 to 3 Addressable RGB LED Splitter Cable" to connect both?

If so if I need to add more fans to cool the system how many fans (approximate) would the 1 "Addressable LED Header" on the motherboard take? It says in the manual that "1 x Addressable LED Header* Supports in total up to 5V/3A, 15W LED Strip"

Sorry but I know nothing about RGB hardware.

Regards,

fbagnato

Last edited:
Solution
Do not use the RGB headers for any ARGB or digital products as one is 5v (ARGB) and one is 12v (RGB). to connect both fan and PSU you will need a splitter cable or a control box.

As to the 12v RGB ports of which you have 2, they are for any RGB devices like RGB strips and fans but only the 4 pin 12v type.

5v ARGB tend to be 3 pin....missing a fourth pin.. the digital or ARGB can control each led separately to allow for better effects whereas the RGB controls all the leds allowing for only one colour at a time before change...

Many a motherboard has been fried due confusing ARGB with RGB....so it is a good thing you asked...

Lutfij

Titan
do I plug the power supply into the "Addressable LED Header" on the motherboard?
Page 10, in your PSU manual, says you have the option to connect to any of a multitude of RGB headers.

Looking at the board, you have access to both ARGB and RGB headers. You should use either one to connect the PSU to the board, don't use both at the same time.

fbagnato

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
Hello Lutfij,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I had already checked the manual for the PSU and understand it plugs into what is called the "Addressable LED Header" on the motherboard.

Unfortunately there is only 1 Addressable LED Header on the motherboard but there are also 2x "RGB LED Headers" on the motherboard.

If I look at each pinout they are different. The Addressable LED Header is a 4 pin (but only 3 pins in use) header comprising of GND, DO_ADDR and VOUT.

The RGB LED Headers are also a 4 pin header comprising of 12V, G, R, B.

I am intending to have the PSU, case fan and am also now considering a CPU Cooler Fan that are all RGB models controllable by ASRock Polychrome RGB.

When I read the manuals and specs on the PSU and Case Fan I need to plug them into the Addressable LED Header to control them via ASRock Polychrome RGB but there is only one Addressable LED Header on the motherboard.

From my (newbie) understanding from reading the manual I suspect that the RGB LED Headers are for LED light strips and not RGB devices controllable by ASRock Polychrome RGB? Am I right here?

I am trying to find out whether I can plug the Case Fan and the CPU Cooler Fan into the 2 separate RGB LED Headers or do I need an "Addressable RGB LED 3 Way Splitter Cable" to connect all three RGB devices (PSU, Case Fan, CPU Cooler Fan) and control all three with ASRock Polychrome RGB.

Regards,

fbagnato

Do not use the RGB headers for any ARGB or digital products as one is 5v (ARGB) and one is 12v (RGB). to connect both fan and PSU you will need a splitter cable or a control box.

As to the 12v RGB ports of which you have 2, they are for any RGB devices like RGB strips and fans but only the 4 pin 12v type.

5v ARGB tend to be 3 pin....missing a fourth pin.. the digital or ARGB can control each led separately to allow for better effects whereas the RGB controls all the leds allowing for only one colour at a time before change...

Many a motherboard has been fried due confusing ARGB with RGB....so it is a good thing you asked...

Last edited:
Solution

fbagnato

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
Hello vMax,

Thanks for your reply.

I am starting to understand now.

I have been searching and reading for some hours now and am getting it now.

It looks like I will need a splitter cable for the ARGB devices I am intending to use on my build.

I have been looking at CPU Coolers and some were RGB while another was a ARGB.

I can see that the RGB is single colour whilst the multi colour are ARGB.

I believe I am going to need a splitter cable for multiple ARGB devices and if I am going to buy RGB devices I can use the 2 motherboard "RGB LED Headers".

Can I definitely use a splitter cable. IOW can the sole "Addressable LED Header" handle the 3 devices I wish to connect (Power Supply, Case Fan and CPU Cooler Fan)?

Regards,

fbagnato

Hi, sorry about the late reply but my notifications do not seem to be working....

Yes you can use a splitter cable that is 1 to 3 and this should work with no issues on the PSU, case fan and CPU cooler but no more. Just double check and make sure the splitter cable is for ARGB digital...

fbagnato

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
Hello again vMax,

Thank-you very much for your reply.

I think I am all set then!

I understand what I need to do and understand that if I have 3 ARGB devices I will need the splitter cable.

I also understand that if devices are RGB, not ARGB then I use the "RGB LED Headers" instead of the "Addressable LED Header".

Thank-you to both vMax and Lutfij for clearing this up for me, I was totally confused about the difference between the "RGB LED Headers" and the "Addressable LED Header".

God bless,

fbagnato

fbagnato

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
Hello vMax,

Yes a cool device, but unfortunately it is RGB when I need ARGB.

Just found a good RGB 3 way splitter cable which I think I will get for my coming PC.

Even though it is RGB the 4th pin would be unused with ARGB making it ok for me to use for my 3 ARGB devices.

1 to 3 ARGB Splitter Cable

Regards,

fbagnato