Need help on overclocking my i5-8600k

Jul 24, 2018
Hello,
I am new to the overclocking, as I recently built my pc just a couple days ago. Here are my specs:

CPU: i5-8600k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK SLIM
Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro
GPU: Radeon RX 580 8G V1
RAM: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133

I was recently messing around a bit with a small overclock @ 4.5 GHz at 1.13 CPU volt... and I noticed that I began to have problem with the memory. Can anyone help me with why this is happening? Do I have to overclock the memory as well? If so, do I do that on the MSI Afterburner or in the Bios? Also can you guys give me some safe overclocks for my specs?

Again, I am sorry for my ignorance, but I am new to the PC building scenario.

Solution
With the Intel i5-8600k Intel increased the standard DDR4 clock speed for these chips to DDR4-2666, up from DDR4-2400 in the previous generation. The minimum memory frequency recommended for a high-end Coffee Lake system is 2666MHz. Everything below that seems to have relatively large negative performance effects.

Another good option is 3200MHz memory for overclocking the CPU, with CL14 or CL15. 3200 MHz CL16 is roughly equal to 3000 MHz CL14 in speed, so consider that option too.

Flare X is designed for the AMD Ryzen system. Built with carefully selected IC chips specifically tested and validated on the AM4 platform, the Flare X series will provide the best compatibility and stability for systems with the AMD Ryzen CPU...
With the Intel i5-8600k Intel increased the standard DDR4 clock speed for these chips to DDR4-2666, up from DDR4-2400 in the previous generation. The minimum memory frequency recommended for a high-end Coffee Lake system is 2666MHz. Everything below that seems to have relatively large negative performance effects.

Another good option is 3200MHz memory for overclocking the CPU, with CL14 or CL15. 3200 MHz CL16 is roughly equal to 3000 MHz CL14 in speed, so consider that option too.

Flare X is designed for the AMD Ryzen system. Built with carefully selected IC chips specifically tested and validated on the AM4 platform, the Flare X series will provide the best compatibility and stability for systems with the AMD Ryzen CPU.
https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-for-amd-ryzen

Solution