[SOLVED] Need help on PSU and GPU

Nov 3, 2019
So my rx 470 need a 8pins but my psu doesnt hava 8pins can i use dual molex and can my psu power the rx 470?

specs

i5 3570k
8gb ram
rx 470(just bought)
psu : rusty oldy(i know it looks sht xd)

image uploader

i cant have a job to purchase a decent psu and i bought this things through my school allowance.
i just want to play csgo and other games

this is the molex to 8pins specs that im gonna buy
Specifications:
Item Type: PCI-E Grapchics Card Power Cable
Material: Plastic
Color: Black+Yellow
Cable Length: approx. 18cm/7.09 inch
Wire Gauge: 18AWG Tinned Copper - UL1007 Wire
Connector A1: 1 - 5.25" Molex 4 pin LP4 Male (pins: P1- 1 wire of 12V, P2- 1 wire of GND, P3- 2 wires of GND)
Connector A2: 1 - 5.25" Molex 4 pin LP4 Male(pins: P1- 2 wires of 12V,P2- 1 wire of GND,P3- 1 wire of GND)
Connector B: 8-pin PCI-E Male
Voltage: 12V DC

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 3, 2019
Your PSU only has 240W available on the +12V rail. That's not enough for both your CPU and that GPU. You'd be playing with fire by using the molex adapter.

You simply need a better PSU that has a proper 8-pin PCIe cable.
im thinking of buying a 600w psu it says 6+2 pin and 8pin but my old pc needs a 4pin for the mobo and 8 for the gpu...
i dont know what psu to buy

ps. im new to pc building

im thinking of buying a 600w psu it says 6+2 pin and 8pin but my old pc needs a 4pin for the mobo and 8 for the gpu...
i dont know what psu to buy

ps. im new to pc building
Most cheap PSUs are not very good at all. There are plenty of crap PSUs you can buy for cheap.

It's actually more difficult to find a good one if you are on a tight budget.

Where are you buying from so I (and we) can see what is available to you?

Reactions: CHEEEEEEZ
Nov 3, 2019
Most cheap PSUs are not very good at all. There are plenty of crap PSUs you can buy for cheap.

It's actually more difficult to find a good one if you are on a tight budget.

Where are you buying from so I (and we) can see what is available to you?
im curious does all psu has a pin for the cpu a 4pin? cause im thinking of buying from this two :
Corsair Vs550 or Thermaltake Smart SPR-0500 80 Plus .

my mobo is old its a Asus P8H61-M LX3 PLUS

im curious does all psu has a pin for the cpu a 4pin? cause im thinking of buying from this two :
Corsair Vs550 or Thermaltake Smart SPR-0500 80 Plus .

my mobo is old its a Asus P8H61-M LX3 PLUS
Yes, they should all have the 4-pin CPU pin. Sometimes it's a 4+4-pin, but just use half of it.

Honestly, I'd get the VS550 if I was on a super tight budget. The newer grey-label VS units aren't as bad as the older orange-label ones. It would be a lot better than your current PSU.

Reactions: CHEEEEEEZ
Nov 3, 2019
Yes, they should all have the 4-pin CPU pin. Sometimes it's a 4+4-pin, but just use half of it.

Honestly, I'd get the VS550 if I was on a super tight budget. The newer grey-label VS units aren't as bad as the older orange-label ones. It would be a lot better than your current PSU.
Thank you ill do that then :giggle: .