[SOLVED] Need help on Seagate firmware update

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
FAoQ0PH.png

nDvnwgT.png

QBkCu8N.jpg

I downloaded Seagate firmware to update my 16TB HDD Exos X16, and I am totally lost after that. The 'readmefirst' file said I have to make bootable USB because windows system do not tolerate firmware download to SATA while windows is running. So I made a bootable USB through SeaChest bootmaker tool, which was included in firmware extraction file, and booted it through BIOS. And then... it went to the 3rd picture. I had no idea about Linux ID or password, and I had no idea how to exit from this status, so I rebooted the PC.

What went wrong? I googled for half an hour, and usually there was an installation windows appeared from USB Boot just like Windows 10. But it looks like that is not my case.

Has anyone tried to update firmware for Seagate drive? Can someone please help me here?

Solution
I have done it! I found a guy who knew how to do it. I'll share instruction if you guys are interested.

1 - You need to boot back into windows and copy the actual firmware files onto the bootable USB stick you made.

In the firmware folder in your first screenshot is the file that you need to copy to the root directory of the USB:
"EvansExosX16SATA-STD-512E-SN03.LOD"

2 - Reboot from the USB

3 - Don't type "exit" that is what logged you out. After you boot from the usb, you are already where you need to be.

4 - It automatically scans when it boots up, so you don't really need to do it again as the README.txt tells you. But if you want to be double extra sure, type:

SeaChest_Firmware --scan

It should give you the same information...
The instructions are confusing. It would appear that it may be possible to apply the firmware update in a CMD window in Windows 10 x64.

"Note: Windows operating systems do NOT allow firmware download to SATA drives unless the drives support the Deferred Download mode."

What do you see when you scan your machine in a CMD window?

Code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe --scan

You may be able to redirect the output to a log file:

Code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe --scan > scan_log.txt

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
The instructions are confusing. It would appear that it may be possible to apply the firmware update in a CMD window in Windows 10 x64.

"Note: Windows operating systems do NOT allow firmware download to SATA drives unless the drives support the Deferred Download mode."

What do you see when you scan your machine in a CMD window?

Code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe --scan

You may be able to redirect the output to a log file:

Code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe --scan > scan_log.txt

It says "The name specified is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
I found a way to do it though. I'll post instruction on reply.

Schimiter

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
I have done it! I found a guy who knew how to do it. I'll share instruction if you guys are interested.

1 - You need to boot back into windows and copy the actual firmware files onto the bootable USB stick you made.

In the firmware folder in your first screenshot is the file that you need to copy to the root directory of the USB:
"EvansExosX16SATA-STD-512E-SN03.LOD"

2 - Reboot from the USB

3 - Don't type "exit" that is what logged you out. After you boot from the usb, you are already where you need to be.

4 - It automatically scans when it boots up, so you don't really need to do it again as the README.txt tells you. But if you want to be double extra sure, type:

SeaChest_Firmware --scan

It should give you the same information in your third screenshot.
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE HANDLE. In the above picture it is "/dev/sg0". It should stay the same when you reboot, but it is possible it might change, so I'll repeat MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE HANDLE.

5 - Once you know the handle, download the firmware with the following command, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT HANDLE AND FILENAME:
SeaChest_Firmware -d /dev/sg0 --downloadFW EvansExosX16SATA-STD-512E-SN03.LOD

After it is done you can run another scan and it should show firmware SN03. If it does, you're golden.

Source: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/o7apii/seagate_firmware_update_help/

Last edited:
Reactions: lvt
Solution
It says "The name specified is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
I found a way to do it though. I'll post instruction on reply.

That's because the EXE file needs to be in your current directory, as do the LOD and CFS files.

By the way, it would have been safer to use the CFS file for the update procedure. This ensures that the LOD file is compatible with both your model and firmware version,.