Question Need help on temperature on laptop while gaming

Aug 15, 2019
Hi all!

Recently bought a MSI GP73 Leopard 8RE.

CPU Intel i7-8750H 2.2Ghz, 6 cores, max 4.1Ghz, 9mb, Coffee Lake
16 GB DDR4 (2x8GB)
128SSD +1 HDD 1 TB 7200RPM
GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB RAM

Playing CS:go and performance are very good for me but I am a little worried about the temperatures of the laptop.

Here at rest:
nRqYpDz.jpg

Right after gaming, csgo:
POBmfBZ.jpg

Running 1280x960 4:3 stretched on high settings and got like 200+FPS and I dont experience any lag/issues. I think the game itself runs smoothly. The fans go up in RPM while gaming so it seems to respond that way.
I switched to performance mode in windows and also performance settings in nvidia control panel. Havent changed anything else.
Got the laptop on a flat, firm surface.

Is this normal?

Regards

The cpu and motherboard are running hot. The gpu is fine. Leave the settings for the gpu as is, but turn off high performance for the cpu because that keeps it running at top speed even at rest which will keep temps up. Try balanced power settings in windows and see if your cpu and motherboard temps go down during usage. Also what is the temp in the room?

Aug 15, 2019
The cpu and motherboard are running hot. The gpu is fine. Leave the settings for the gpu as is, but turn off high performance for the cpu because that keeps it running at top speed even at rest which will keep temps up. Try balanced power settings in windows and see if your cpu and motherboard temps go down during usage. Also what is the temp in the room?
Thanks for reply!

I got about 25Celsius I think inside.

Here is idle when i turned balanced power setting on:

H27EXda.jpg

Here is right after game of cs go on power setting balanced:

Da8OLXN.jpg

Hmm its actually hotter in balanced mode go figure. Can you control the cpu fan speed? If so I would tune it to 100% while gaming. Also I would try and raise the laptop a bit off the surface for better airflow. If you can keep it down to 90C or lower you will be fine. The cpu auto throttles at 100c I believe but that is too high of heat for longevity. Starting at 25c ambient room temperature is a little warm to start and and keep air cooled.

Aug 15, 2019
Hmm its actually hotter in balanced mode go figure. Can you control the cpu fan speed? If so I would tune it to 100% while gaming. Also I would try and raise the laptop a bit off the surface for better airflow. If you can keep it down to 90C or lower you will be fine. The cpu auto throttles at 100c I believe but that is too high of heat for longevity. Starting at 25c ambient room temperature is a little warm to start and and keep air cooled.
Thanks.
This is right after CS go match when I use full fan speed on:

w6PIHFw.jpg

Also I think I will invest in a cooler surface?

Aug 15, 2019
I have noticed that my computer is running on like 3,8/3,9 ghz when just watching chrome and such, it never go down to base clock when just idling. It feels like its running on turbo all the time?

EDIT: nvm.. I switched to balanced mode in windows and it went down. So it was because of performance mode.

TRENDING THREADS