Need help overclocking. [5820k]

Nate_38

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
So, i do a lot of 3D rendering which is why i have 5820k CPU and would like a decent and stable overclock to help reduce my render times.

I am a complete noob at overclocking and have never done it before so i really don't know what i'm doing at all. Iv'e tried guides and just can't seem to follow them properly so i was hoping for some help here.

My Spec:
i7 5820K
Asus X99 Strix Motherboard
16GB Corsair vengeance 3000Mhz Ram
Corsair H100i V2 cooler
Corsair RM750 PSU

I would like about 4.3 maximum as I don't really want my system too hot as I can be rendering for between 1 to even 6 hours (CPU at 100% during the entirety)

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Ok so first foray into overclocking eh? Well I would firstly advise keeping the CPU temperature around 75°C and the maximum I'd consider a safe 24/7 Of is 80C.
HW monitor is fantastic for monitoring this.

Naturally this temperature increases as you pump more voltage into the package (you can adjust this in the BIOS as Vcore) this is a requirement for getting a higher frequency.
For the core clock itself there should be a multiplier modifier to it, this multiplier 9 times out of 10 is in GHz (I.e 4.0= 4.0ghz, 4.1=4.1 GHz etc) but there can be some variation depending on the Mobo.
For you, and if you have a decent cooler. I would try 1.3v on the Vcore and go for 4.5ghz, I wouldn't advise increasing the voltage past 1.35v.
Also I...

Mikeandike

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Ok so first foray into overclocking eh? Well I would firstly advise keeping the CPU temperature around 75°C and the maximum I'd consider a safe 24/7 Of is 80C.
HW monitor is fantastic for monitoring this.

Naturally this temperature increases as you pump more voltage into the package (you can adjust this in the BIOS as Vcore) this is a requirement for getting a higher frequency.
For the core clock itself there should be a multiplier modifier to it, this multiplier 9 times out of 10 is in GHz (I.e 4.0= 4.0ghz, 4.1=4.1 GHz etc) but there can be some variation depending on the Mobo.
For you, and if you have a decent cooler. I would try 1.3v on the Vcore and go for 4.5ghz, I wouldn't advise increasing the voltage past 1.35v.
Also I reccomend downloading Asus realbench and Aida 64 for testing the stability of your system then. If all is good and no blue screens appear, you can try to up the core clock to 4.6ghz, if you do get a blue screen or other sign of instability, try to reduce the core clock or slightly increase the voltage.
Once you get your CPU to somewhere that you like run the realbench stress test for 6-8 hours. If you have no problems, you're good to go!
Another thing you can do is progressively try to reduce the voltage to run an efficient overclock, why use more voltage than you need?
Remember that you may run into instability issues in the future, if you do. Repeat the above steps.
Best of luck

Solution