Need help overclocking Intel Pentium D 820

detectionhd

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hey all! im new to overclocking and i would like to overclock my intel pentium d 820 from 2.8ghz a core to 3.4ghz! i have no clue what software works for it i tried all the big name ones but don't know how to use them here are my specs:
Intel (R) Pentium (r) D cpu 2.8ghz
mainboard is: Asus leucite 2.0
i have 3gb ram dual channel
and the nvidia geforce 210

i only want to overclock my processor at the moment!

nna2

Distinguished
im not sure if Pentium D multipliers are overclocked, but i know my p4 northwood's was,

with an asus mobo, press delete (del) and get into the BIOS settings...

there should be a menu like "frequency control" "overclocking menu" "ai overclock"... somthing along those lines

so once you find this menu, the setting should be on auto... change it to manual, now, your standard cpu ratio is 14, so try to bring it to 14.5 and up, if its a no go, then its a locked multiplier... not a big deal

right below the ratio should be somthing like cpu/fsb ratio.... bear with me, it may be somthing else
mind that if you cant change the cpu ratio, you overclock your ram too

so from that point, raise either the cpu ratio, or the other one till you feel satisfied

bear in mind if you dont have an aftermarket cooler dont overclock much... you dont want to burn out your chip

on that note, i dont suggest this next step without an aftermarket cooler

if your menu is anything like mine, scroll down... you should hit a voltages part of the overclocking menu

by this point, you shouldve tested for stability (prime 95, and a program like speedfan to monitor heat)

when the system is no longer stable, bring the cpu voltage up slightly, go back into windows, and try again

bear in mind your Tcase (highest optimal temp) is 64C, so try not to go much above that, 70C is about the highest you'd want to get to

Locked multipliers, not directed at you but people now days don't know how to overclock hardly at all except by raising the multiplire so what you need to do is overclock by what was once the usual method. Start by putting the fsb setting to 210mhz and start from there. Your ram will be the limiting factor for the fsb while the board's power vrm will limit how much that cpu can go. Those old monolithic netburst dual cores were known to hit 4ghz but they required a vast amount of power to remain stable. 3.4ghz is very much achievable but remember there are limits to your board like any other so you might not hit 3.4ghz.

nna2

Distinguished

ive been overclocking w/o the multiplier for a while now
why do somthing the hard way when you can do it the easy way?

popatim

Titan
You are not understanding.. that board is made for HP. HP does not want their user overclocking and possibly causing dmage which they'd have to fix if its still under warranty ... so they have removed all the overclocking options from the bios altogether, They will not be there when you go into the bios to make changes needed. You will not have access to the cpu multiplier, nor the FSB (front side bus), nor the cpu voltages.. and without those - you cannot overclock. cpu speed = fsb x cpu multiplier. Is this sinking in now?