Need help overclocking my AMD Athlon ii x2 240?

enderdude156

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Hi. I would like to ask for help regarding overclocking my CPU, it woukd be much appreciated if it is detailed. Here are my PC specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon ii x2 240 2.8 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 2GB
RAM: 4GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair VS650 650W
MoBo: Biostar A780L3

Any help would be appreciated :)

Solution
First, don't expect much performance improvement from any OC, because the CPU has a locked clock multiplier. You have to get all your OC by increasing the FSB (base clock). (MHz = FSB x clock multiplier) You're only looking at a few 100 Mhz at most, and then only if the motherboard and PSU is designed to accept the increase in stress, and you have an after-market cooler. ** If your motherboard's power transistors (VRM) do not have heat sinks, I would not attempt to OC. **

Enter BIOS and begin raising the FSB in small increments. Save, exit to Win, and run a stress test like Intel Burn Test using its default settings. If it passes and core temps are safe (< 75C), repeat.
Eventually, the core voltage (vcore) will...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First, don't expect much performance improvement from any OC, because the CPU has a locked clock multiplier. You have to get all your OC by increasing the FSB (base clock). (MHz = FSB x clock multiplier) You're only looking at a few 100 Mhz at most, and then only if the motherboard and PSU is designed to accept the increase in stress, and you have an after-market cooler. ** If your motherboard's power transistors (VRM) do not have heat sinks, I would not attempt to OC. **

Enter BIOS and begin raising the FSB in small increments. Save, exit to Win, and run a stress test like Intel Burn Test using its default settings. If it passes and core temps are safe (< 75C), repeat.
Eventually, the core voltage (vcore) will need to be increased when the OC is no longer stable. Take the vcore up in small increments (0.025 - 0.050v) and test again. Max vcore should stay below 1.500v.

As you increase the FSB, you are also increasing the operating freq. of everything else that runs off the FSB. Most importantly, the RAM speed. So, you should lower the RAM speed before you start so that it doesn't become unstable and give you a false test result.

Solution