[SOLVED] Need help overcloking on ASUS motherboard, with an i7 8700k

bettemis4

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I have a few questions regarding overclocking the CPU.

Specs:

Mobo: z370-F Strix
CPU: I7-8700K
CPU Cooler: NZXT x62
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 at 3000MHz
Power Supply: EVGA 750W GQ

1: Manual and adaptive voltage

So I am finally done with my stress tests etc. I ended up with 1.280V at 5GHz [Manual volatge]. So now I want to use adaptive mode instead, so my voltage is lower when it’s idle.
When I write 1.280V in and start the pc, my voltage is at around 1.490V. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.
I did some research and saw people tweaking a few more things:
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/77i3as/asus_prime_z370a_broken_adaptive_mode_voltages/

•Adaptive- 1.35
•Offset- Auto
•LLC level 6

•Extreme Tweaker\Internal CPU Power Management
•IA AC Load Line [0.01] •IA DC Load Line [0.01]

•Advanced\CPU Configuration\CPU – Power Management Control
•Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) [Auto]
•Turbo Mode [Enabled]
•CPU C-states [Enabled]
•Enhanced C-states [Enabled]
•CPU C3 Report [Enabled]
•CPU C6 Report [Enabled]
•CPU C7 Report [CPU C7s]
•CPU C8 Report [Enabled]
•Package C State Limit [Cpu Default]
•CFG Lock [Disabled]
•Intel(R) Speed Shift Technology [Enabled]

Will this help or is there anything that looks dangerous?

2: LLC making VRMS hotter?

I’ve read a few places that you should be careful with LLC because it puts more heat on your VRMS. But then I’ve seen videos where people are suggestion using LLC at level 5-7.

Will this hurt anything, or should I just go for it?

3: Vid voltage high even when using stock settings

In HWinfo it says my highest VID is around 1.370V is that something I should be afraid of?
My Vcore / voltage is around 1.280V, so I don’t understand what VID is.

4: In the BIOS there this settings called “SVID behavior” I’ve heard people saying that it should be set to “best case scenario”, does it change anything?

Would be really helpful if you could just answer one of these questions.

Thanks!

Solution
I personally tend to NOT use adaptive voltage and leave the default C states enabled as well as leaving Intel speed step ENABLED but DISABLE Intel speed SHIFT, which in my experience doesn't seem to work right on a variety of boards anyhow.

Then I go into the control panel power options and enable the performance profile. In the advanced settings of the performance profile find the processor power state settings and set the minimum power state to 8% and the maximum at 100%. Save settings and exit.

With Speedstep enabled and the power profile configured that way, it WILL use less voltage at idle AND also reduce the CPU multiplier when it does not need to be at full frequency. Since CPU reaction times are typically in thousandths of...
I personally tend to NOT use adaptive voltage and leave the default C states enabled as well as leaving Intel speed step ENABLED but DISABLE Intel speed SHIFT, which in my experience doesn't seem to work right on a variety of boards anyhow.

Then I go into the control panel power options and enable the performance profile. In the advanced settings of the performance profile find the processor power state settings and set the minimum power state to 8% and the maximum at 100%. Save settings and exit.

With Speedstep enabled and the power profile configured that way, it WILL use less voltage at idle AND also reduce the CPU multiplier when it does not need to be at full frequency. Since CPU reaction times are typically in thousandths of seconds, having the CPU at 800-1000mhz at idle isn't going to create any noticeable lag when a core needs to jump to full frequency.

I think your core voltage is way too low for that overclock and your LLC might be too high depending on what kind of vdroop you experience after raising your core voltage. I'd probably start with about 1.3v and an LLC of 4 or 5, and find tune from there. I don't know what you are using to "test" the thermal compliance or the stability, but this is the methodology I've settled on after a long time, many years, and a lot of gathering opinions from other long time overclockers.

Quick and dirty overview of overclocking validation procedure.

Set CPU multiplier and voltage at desired settings in BIOS. Do not use presets or automatic utilities. These will overcompensate on core and other voltages. It is much better to configure most core settings manually, and leave anything left over on auto until a later point in time if wish to come back and tweak settings such as cache (Uncore) frequency, System agent voltage, VCCIO (Internal memory controller) and memory speeds or timings (RAM) AFTER the CPU overclock is fully stable.

Save bios settings (As a new BIOS profile if your bios supports multiple profiles) and exit bios.

Boot into the Windows desktop environment. Download and install Prime95 version 26.6.

Download and install either HWinfo or CoreTemp.

Open HWinfo and run "Sensors only" or open CoreTemp.

Run Prime95 (ONLY version 26.6) and choose the "Small FFT test option". Run this for 15 minutes while monitoring your core/package temperatures to verify that you do not exceed the thermal specifications of your CPU.

(This should be considered to be 80°C for most generations of Intel processor and for current Ryzen CPUs. For older AMD FX and Phenom series, you should use a thermal monitor that has options for "Distance to TJmax" and you want to NOT see distance to TJmax drop below 10°C distance to TJmax. Anything that is MORE than 10°C distance to TJmax is within the allowed thermal envelope.)

If your CPU passes the thermal compliance test, move on to stability.

Download and install Realbench. Run Realbench and choose the Stress test option. Choose a value from the available memory (RAM) options that is equal to approximately half of your installed memory capacity. If you have 16GB, choose 8GB. If you have 8GB, choose 4GB, etc. Click start and allow the stability test to run for 8 hours. Do not plan to use the system for ANYTHING else while it is running. It will run realistic AVX and handbrake workloads and if it passes 8 hours of testing it is probably about as stable as you can reasonably expect.

If you wish to check stability further you can run 12-24 hours of Prime95 Blend mode or Small FFT.

You do not need to simultaneously run HWinfo or CoreTemp while running Realbench as you should have already performed the thermal compliance test PLUS Realbench will show current CPU temperatures while it is running.

If you run the additional stability test using Prime95 Blend/Small FFT modes for 12-24 hours, you will WANT to also run HWinfo alongside it. Monitor HWinfo periodically to verify that no cores/threads are showing less than 100% usage. If it is, then that worker has errored out and the test should be stopped.

If you find there are errors on ANY of the stability tests including Realbench or Prime95, or any other stress testing utility, you need to make a change in the bios. This could be either dropping the multiplier to a lower factor or increasing the voltage while leaving the multiplier the same. If you change voltage or multiplier at ANY time, you need to start over again at the beginning and verify thermal compliance again.

A more in depth but general guide that is still intended for beginners or those who have had a small amount of experience overclocking can be found here:

*CPU overclocking guide for beginners

Solution