Question PC is rebooting whilst I'm gaming ?

Jun 7, 2023
Hello everyone! For the past few months I have been having an issue where while I am gaming my PC will just reboot, it will not do this while the system is idle with things like youtube or discord. The screen goes black, goes through boot, and brings me back to windows login. The LEDs for the PC stay on when this occurs. When it will happen is unpredictable, the first few months it only happened a few times a month (2-3), now I have gotten about 10 in a week and have basically stopped gaming as a byproduct. I could play for 2 hours and not have it happen at all or play for 20 minutes and have it happen. I have had this PC now for about a year and a half it is my first build. In addition, each time this issue occurs windows produces this error:
Kernel-Power Event ID 41 Task Category (63).

I have checked the temps while gaming and under higher loads its running about the high 60Cs for GPU and is staying about 50C for CPU. I have double-checked every plug to ensure that they're all seated securely, switched the RAM channels and which channels each stick is in, performing a clean windows install, windows virus check both on and offline.

System is not OCd

Motherboard: X570 Aorus Elite
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
CPU cooler: H150i Elite Capellix
GPU: Zotac RTX 3070 Ti
Ram: 2x 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16
SSD/HDD: MP600 1TB M.2 NVME for boot, Samsung Portable SSD, WD_Black 8TB HDD, and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU: Corsair RM850 80+ Gold PSU
Chassis: Corsair 5000D Airflow
Monitor: Primary: MSI Optix G27C4 Secondary: Acer Predator XB253Q
In case it matters I also have a Corsair K100 Keyboard & Corsair dark Core RGB

If you can borrow another one to see if it brings stability, then it might prove the PSU either way. Failing PSUs are notoriously difficult to diagnose and even on idle it might still give up and reboot.
So, I'm not saying it DEFINITELY is PSU, but quiet a strong indication due to the symptom.

Jun 7, 2023
If you can borrow another one to see if it brings stability, then it might prove the PSU either way. Failing PSUs are notoriously difficult to diagnose and even on idle it might still give up and reboot.
So, I'm not saying it DEFINITELY is PSU, but quiet a strong indication due to the symptom.
I unfortunately do not have a spare PSU or anyone to borrow one from so I would likely need to replace it. What confuses me the most is that it is only during gaming, from my very crude understanding if it was a failing PSU it should occasionally happen without load if the PSU was going. Obviously, you are more knowledgeable than I am but before I go spending a few hundred $ I want to be certain that it will fix the problem, not meaning any disrespect.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hello everyone! For the past few months I have been having an issue where while I am gaming my PC will just reboot, it will not do this while the system is idle with things like youtube or discord. The screen goes black, goes through boot, and brings me back to windows login. The LEDs for the PC stay on when this occurs. When it will happen is unpredictable, the first few months it only happened a few times a month (2-3), now I have gotten about 10 in a week and have basically stopped gaming as a byproduct. I could play for 2 hours and not have it happen at all or play for 20 minutes and have it happen. I have had this PC now for about a year and a half it is my first build. In addition, each time this issue occurs windows produces this error:
Kernel-Power Event ID 41 Task Category (63).

I have checked the temps while gaming and under higher loads its running about the high 60Cs for GPU and is staying about 50C for CPU. I have double-checked every plug to ensure that they're all seated securely, switched the RAM channels and which channels each stick is in, performing a clean windows install, windows virus check both on and offline.

System is not OCd

Motherboard: X570 Aorus Elite
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
CPU cooler: H150i Elite Capellix
GPU: Zotac RTX 3070 Ti
Ram: 2x 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16
SSD/HDD: MP600 1TB M.2 NVME for boot, Samsung Portable SSD, WD_Black 8TB HDD, and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU: Corsair RM850 80+ Gold PSU
Chassis: Corsair 5000D Airflow
Monitor: Primary: MSI Optix G27C4 Secondary: Acer Predator XB253Q
In case it matters I also have a Corsair K100 Keyboard & Corsair dark Core RGB
From a google search:
Kernel-Power: Event ID 41 Bugcheck is mostly caused by a faulty Power Supply so I suggest that you replace your PSU.
You can see from the links below that other users fixed the issue by replacing the PSU.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Jun 7, 2023
No idea if this is relevant to the issue, doubtful but who knows, a few other things that may be attached issues are if I change my RAM to the XMP profile to run at 3200 rather than 2133 the system enters a boot loop. Additionally my mobo is apparently running a bios that isn't support or listed on the mobos website.

Jun 7, 2023
Conclusion:
So I thank you for your help, it turns out that it was in fact a RAM issue. Over the past few days I have put in ~12-15 hours of gameplay and have yet to encounter an issue. I am not sure how the RAM was causing the issue, my best guess would be something to do with the windows files becoming temporarily corrupted and causing the reboot.

Reactions: BlaUno
Jun 8, 2023
Conclusion:
So I thank you for your help, it turns out that it was in fact a RAM issue. Over the past few days I have put in ~12-15 hours of gameplay and have yet to encounter an issue. I am not sure how the RAM was causing the issue, my best guess would be something to do with the windows files becoming temporarily corrupted and causing the reboot.
Hey Mega, you noted that the RAM may have been the issue. Have you encountered any further issues since and how did you fix the ram? Drivers or maybe new hardware?

Jun 7, 2023
Hey Mega, you noted that the RAM may have been the issue. Have you encountered any further issues since and how did you fix the ram? Drivers or maybe new hardware?
I have yet to encounter any issue any issues and have probably put in over a hundred hours into games.

To fix the issue I removed one of the RAM sticks, ran the RAM check to confirm I removed the faulty one and once I did that I just started playing and had no issues.

Reactions: Eternally_Sleepy

TRENDING THREADS