Question Need help Phanteks 350x with pre installed case fan

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
I recently built my own pc in the Phanteks 350x case and everything works great except there’s only one problem: the pre installed case fan won’t spin. I read the manual and did all the connections but it still doesn’t seem to work. Help?

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
Does the Fan just have one 3 pin (or 4 pin) connector ?
What exact model MB & PSU are you using ?
I have a 550W Rosewill PSU and the motherboard is MSI B350M PRO-VD PLUS AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6GB/s USB 3.1 Micro ATx AMD motherboard. As for the fan connections, nothing was needed to be plugged into the motherboard. The fan is preinstalled and connected to the fan hub and is supposed to be powered via the data cable, which also supports the built in RBG for the case. The RBG works, but the fan doesn’t.

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
I have a 550W Rosewill PSU and the motherboard is MSI B350M PRO-VD PLUS AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6GB/s USB 3.1 Micro ATx AMD motherboard. As for the fan connections, nothing was needed to be plugged into the motherboard. The fan is preinstalled and connected to the fan hub and is supposed to be powered via the data cable, which also supports the built in RBG for the case. The RBG works, but the fan doesn’t.
Sata cable*

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Are there multiple fan ports on the hub ?
If so have you tired moving that fan to a different port.
Also I'd try connecting it directly to the PSU via a SATA power connector and see if it spins up then, if it doesn't you will know the fan is bad.
If it does power up then you need to figure out why the fan hub isn't powering it.

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
theres not more on the hub. Also, this is a really rookie question but case fans should spin upon startup, correct?
also, as for connecting the fan to the PSU directly by SATA, I don't think I can. The power for the HUB as a whole is powered by SATA but not the fan itself, The fan is just connected to the hub.

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
Are there multiple fan ports on the hub ?
If so have you tired moving that fan to a different port.
Also I'd try connecting it directly to the PSU via a SATA power connector and see if it spins up then, if it doesn't you will know the fan is bad.
If it does power up then you need to figure out why the fan hub isn't powering it.
theres not more on the hub. Also, this is a really rookie question but case fans should spin upon startup, correct?
also, as for connecting the fan to the PSU directly by SATA, I don't think I can. The power for the HUB as a whole is powered by SATA but not the fan itself, The fan is just connected to the hub.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
See if you can connect the fan directly to a SYS-Fan or Case_Fan header on your MB.
If the fan has a 3 or 4 pin connector it can be plugged into any 3 or 4 pin header on your MB.

Look on page 7 and 13 of your MB Manual for info on the SYS_Fan Header.

And yes it should start spinning when the PC boots.

Last edited:

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
See if you can connect the fan directly to a SYS-Fan or Case_Fan header on your MB.
If the fan has a 3 or 4 pin connector it can be plugged into any 3 or 4 pin header on your MB.

Look on page 13 of your Manual for info on the SYS_Fan Header.

And yes it should start spinning when the PC boots.
thats the thing, my mb doesnt have another header. Would trying a different SATA port for the hub maybe work?

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally have 5 case fans running (3 intake and 2 exhaust) to keep my CPU, MB, etc. as cool as possible.
I have a Ryzen 5 260 0@ 3.95 GHz, an MSI GTX 1660 Ti and a LOT of HDDs and SSDs.
I would highly recommend you install at least one intake and one exhaust fan BUT with case fans more is better IMO.
If the fan controller or the MB fan header don't work properly you can always buy fans that use SATA power connections as a last resort and they will just run at full speed.

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
I personally have 5 case fans running (3 intake and 2 exhaust) to keep my CPU, MB, etc. as cool as possible.
I have a Ryzen 5 260 0@ 3.95 GHz, an MSI GTX 1660 Ti and a LOT of HDDs and SSDs.
I would highly recommend you install at least one intake and one exhaust fan BUT with case fans more is better IMO.
If the fan controller or the MB fan header don't work properly you can always buy fans that use SATA power connections as a last resort and they will just run at full speed.
alright so i figured out the issue i think, the fan is just faulty. last question, i am thinking of installing a fan on the rear panel. 1) does the fan on the rear panel have to be an exhaust or intake fan or does that not matter, and 2) do case fans have to connect to the PSU directly or do they just connect to the mother board and get power from the motherboard?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would definitely make the rear fan an Exhaust fan to get rid of the hot air coming off of your CPU cooler/MB VRM/etc.
As for power it depends on the fan.
Some fans connect directly to the MB with a 3 or 4 pin connector and they don't need any other power source.
Also those 3 and 4 pin fans can have the speed controlled in your BIOS
Others use a SATA or older Molex connector and they just run at 100% unless you add a fan speed controller for them.

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
I would definitely make the rear fan an Exhaust fan to get rid of the hot air coming off of your CPU cooler/MB VRM/etc.
As for power it depends on the fan.
Some fans connect directly to the MB with a 3 or 4 pin connector and they don't need any other power source.
Also those 3 and 4 pin fans can have the speed controlled in your BIOS
Others use a SATA or older Molex connector and they just run at 100% unless you add a fan speed controller for them.
cool thanks! i appreciate the help. I guess my last question before taking any action is, since my motherboard only has room for 1 more sysfan, should i worry about the negative pressure that would come from only having an exhaust fan? or does that not matter since I can really only have 1 more system fan

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
If the hub is bad I would get a fan splitter cable and connect the front intake and rear exhaust fans to the SYS_Fan header just to be safe.
So the splitter will connect to the motherboard and the 2 fans at the same time? I’m fine with that, but wouldn’t that make cable management difficult, or would it not matter since the splitter would be hidden with the rest of the messy PSU stuff

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador

pokemonchamp33

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
Yes the splitter would connect to the header then to each fan, as far as cable management that depends on how you can best route those fan cables.
There are plenty of options for a splitter, so you just need to choose one that will work best for your setup/case as far as cable management goes.
3 pin splitters:
https://www.amazon.com/3-pin-fan-cable-splitter/s?k=3+pin+fan+cable+splitter
4 pin splitters:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4+pin+fan+cable+splitter&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Thank you for all your help man.

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS