Need help picking a older gpu

Joel 09

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I'm wanting to buy a new gpu soon and looking on my local listings (kijiji) I've came across a few options. First is two hd 6950s $100. Second is a gtx 760 $100. Third is a r9 270x 4gb $110. Lastly I can save and wait to get a evga gtx 780 ti classified for $225. I have the power supply to power all the set ups I just want to know the best baby for buck I can get. A side note I have a i7 3770 (non k) and 8gb of ram. Thanks for any responses

The hd 6950s are 2gb as well as the gtx 760 is a 2gb

Solution
Depends what you will play. As I keep saying. You won't really need more than 2GB in many games at 1080p and you can always just remove one really consuming feature. I've watched a video of GTA 5 comparing the 760 to 1050ti and was amazed. You need more when you play games at higher resolutions or with more stuff to keep in memory. Like many units in Total War or lots of stuff in poorly optimized games like ARK and 7days to die (tho I'm pretty sure those use a lot of RAM not VRAM).

I'd be more concerned about having at least 8GB of RAM.

Cioby

Distinguished
Shockingly I found the 760 is very good still. So, easy pick. 760 if it's in good condition.
The 780ti might get you double fps. But you need to ask yourself, will you run 120 fps on your monitor or is it a 60Hz. The 760 might be enough then.

It also depends what you want to play. Youtube 760 gtx + the game you want.

Cioby

Distinguished

Yet it's much stronger than the 270. And at that performance you're usually not looking at more than 2 GB usage. It depends what you want to play. And at 1080p 60 fps I think it's the best you can buy. Not to mention, it's also Nvidia.

Joel 09

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Thanks for the replys, I will be playing on a 1080p 60hz monitor, pete_101 I've read an article saying the gtx 760 is better but is the 4gb that much more useful? I know a bit about graphics cards but would still call myself new to the scene

Cioby

Distinguished
Depends what you will play. As I keep saying. You won't really need more than 2GB in many games at 1080p and you can always just remove one really consuming feature. I've watched a video of GTA 5 comparing the 760 to 1050ti and was amazed. You need more when you play games at higher resolutions or with more stuff to keep in memory. Like many units in Total War or lots of stuff in poorly optimized games like ARK and 7days to die (tho I'm pretty sure those use a lot of RAM not VRAM).

I'd be more concerned about having at least 8GB of RAM.

Solution
The difference between the 2 isn't huge, looks like the gaming comparison shows a 9% difference. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-760-vs-AMD-R9-270X/2159vs2188
IMO, the extra 2GB more than makes up for this.

Cioby

Distinguished
Synthetic benchmarks mean nothing. A +7 fps on Witcher 3 very high settings, does.
Also it's a Nvidia card which are more reliable and probably works to get OC. Unless he tells us he plays some specific game that uses way too much memory, the 760 beats the 270 even in GTA 5 where it needs like 3GB of VRAM for very high settings on 1080p.

In the end it's your choice. Look up your games and the memory usage on youtube on the 760. If you actually want more power and that extra VRAM just save for the 780ti which is a top tier GPU even today. But as mentioned that GPU is almost overkill on most games at 1080p 60fps, except Witcher 3 and ARK that are way more demanding and the 760 will barely get 37 fps on very high