Need help picking an ssd

rosieboo

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Hello,

I have a Crucial 750gb ssd that i want to use as my main storage.
What type of ssd should i get for my os. I want one that would get me fast boot times, but not break the bank.

Should a i get a regular 2.5 inch one.
or go for the m.2 or other form factors?

BTW what is NVMe? is it important/expensive/worth it?

Solution
There are two types of M2 drive, SATA and PCIE. The PCIE interface versions are much faster, and usually refererred to as NVME. Personally I dont think you'll get much faster boot times than with the Crucial SSD, but whether you can use an NVME drive depends on your motherboard.

SATA M2's are no faster than 2.5" SATA SSD's, they are just good for space saving, but cost more and bcause of the problem with M2 drives overheating throttle easily so can affect performance.
There are two types of M2 drive, SATA and PCIE. The PCIE interface versions are much faster, and usually refererred to as NVME. Personally I dont think you'll get much faster boot times than with the Crucial SSD, but whether you can use an NVME drive depends on your motherboard.

SATA M2's are no faster than 2.5" SATA SSD's, they are just good for space saving, but cost more and bcause of the problem with M2 drives overheating throttle easily so can affect performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS