[SOLVED] Need help picking b450m motherboard

Dec 13, 2020
Hey all,

I’m planning to upgrade parts in my system after building it last year. My specs right now are:
Ryzen 3 1200
GTX 970
Gigabyte A320m
Crucial Ballistix 8gb 1 stick
EVGA 500W PSU (80+ white)
Sandisk x400 128gb SSD

I mainly play Minecraft which is why the specs may seem a bit outdated. I’m trying to upgrade by A320m into a B450m and I need your help on which one to choose:

• ASROCK B450m/AC
  • ASROCK B450m Steel Legend
  • Asus Prime B450m
  • MSI B450m PRO-VDH MAX
  • MSI B450m PRO-M2 MAX

I’m more inclined towards the Steel Legend but want to know if I should go with something else.

Thank you!

Solution
Ryzen 3 1200
I’m more inclined towards the Steel Legend but want to know if I should go with something else.

Thank you!
For that processor most any board would do fine...even a B350. But since you're buying new and have the option I'd suggest getting something with a future to it. In that mix the B450m Steel Legend is good for that, and since you're already leaning that way it seems the best choice.

While it will work with your 1200 out of the box keep in mind that if you are looking to upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 or 5000 processor in the future you should check on whether BIOS upgrades are needed to run one. But don't upgrade to such a BIOS until you also have the upgrade processor (especially a 5000 series) 'in hand'...
Ryzen 3 1200

Thank you!
For that processor most any board would do fine...even a B350. But since you're buying new and have the option I'd suggest getting something with a future to it. In that mix the B450m Steel Legend is good for that, and since you're already leaning that way it seems the best choice.

While it will work with your 1200 out of the box keep in mind that if you are looking to upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 or 5000 processor in the future you should check on whether BIOS upgrades are needed to run one. But don't upgrade to such a BIOS until you also have the upgrade processor (especially a 5000 series) 'in hand' is it may no longer function with a 1st gen Ryzen after that.

Last edited:
Solution