[SOLVED] Need help picking boot drive and storage/maybe game drive

M.2_1 supports PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 /
2280 storage devices.
- M.2_2 supports PCIE 3.0 x4 M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 / 22110
storage devices*.

So which of these would be better for a boot drive and these would be best for what?

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

Both of those slots accept drives that are the M.2 form factor. There are SATA drives and PCIe drives that share that form factor. SATA drives will be limited up to about 570MB/s sequential read and write speeds, whereas their PCIe counterparts can do about 3,500MB/s sequential. The other thing you'd have to worry about is IOPS (inputs/outputs per second). IOPS determine the amount of data the drive can manage. Higher is better.

The numbers you see (2242 / 2260...... etc.) are just the dimensions of the drive. M.2 drives come in different lengths. 2280 is the most common, and is 22mm x 80mm (looks like a stick of gum)

So... The short version is this:
  • M.2 is a form factor for SSDs., and they come in different lengths
  • If you have plenty of cash to burn, get a PCIe drive, as they are generally quicker.

To specifically answer your question about boot drives, any SSD is great as a boot drive, but each slot should perform the same.

If you have any more questions about this, let me know. Hope this helps! :)

Hi there,

Both of those slots accept drives that are the M.2 form factor. There are SATA drives and PCIe drives that share that form factor. SATA drives will be limited up to about 570MB/s sequential read and write speeds, whereas their PCIe counterparts can do about 3,500MB/s sequential. The other thing you'd have to worry about is IOPS (inputs/outputs per second). IOPS determine the amount of data the drive can manage. Higher is better.

The numbers you see (2242 / 2260...... etc.) are just the dimensions of the drive. M.2 drives come in different lengths. 2280 is the most common, and is 22mm x 80mm (looks like a stick of gum)

So... The short version is this:
  • M.2 is a form factor for SSDs., and they come in different lengths
  • If you have plenty of cash to burn, get a PCIe drive, as they are generally quicker.
To specifically answer your question about boot drives, any SSD is great as a boot drive, but each slot should perform the same.

If you have any more questions about this, let me know. Hope this helps! :)
I dont have much left actually towards faunding after a $120 psu $275 cpu, $115ish in ram. Plus another $100 on a case and fans... Oh and $130ish on a mobo don't have much left.... However what would be a good 250gb m.2 for boot/drivers/and essentials. Plus a good like 500gb m.2 for storage

I basically have $120ish left for a few storage plus boot drive
This is for a Asus rog stix b450 f gaming