Need help picking out a Mobo

skarp7c1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Hi, this is my first post.

I'm looking for a motherboard for my first build. I'm planning on buying Q6600, a 8800GTS 640mb, and 2x2gb memory (haven't decided on the brand yet). I looked at some gigabyte asus and abit motherboards, but I am not sure which one would be best for my needs, especially worried about the compatibility between the memory and mobo. I might try a small oc, but nothing heavy. I need to know that i can have 2x2gb memory with the motherboard, and if possible could you suggest what brand.

If anyone would suggest some mobos for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I want to spend less than $200, preferably even less than $150 if possible. I'll be shopping at newegg.

Thank You all in advance.

Hello and welcome to forums mate ,

well there are some RAMs that arent in the motherboard compatible list but they are compatible , like mine , ASUS P5K-E doesnt have OCZ REAPER ram in their list but it is compatible ,

for less than $150 , go for :

GIGABYTE P35 DS3R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

ASUS P5K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180

(ASUS P5K-E and ABIT IP35 PRO are good and they are $164 and $180)

all of these boards are rock solid , u wont be disappointed with either of them

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
I'm told that you can find the IP35 Pro as low as ~$155 if you look & it's a great board.
Really, any of the abit or Gigabyte P35 mobos are good but the Asus boards have quite a few reported problems particularly with SATA/RAID.

As to which board exactly that will also involve what features that you need (RAID, firewire etc.).
The basic IP35-E is often ~$70 or less with rebates.

My recommend scale goes in order of price/features:
abit IP35-E
+ RAID, Gigabyte P35-DS3R
+RAID+firewire, abit IP35
+RAID+Firewire+2nd X16 PCI-E slot, Gigabyte P35-DS3P
all singing & dancing ;), abit IP35 Pro

As for RAM Crucial Ballistix is a safe choice.
You do realise that if using 4GB you either need to go for a 64-bit OS or effectively lose a big chunk of the last 1Gb due to addressing?

skarp7c1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for both of your replies.

I think I'll buy the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. I probably won't need or use any additional features of the more expensive boards.

I'm aware of the limits of 32bit addressing space; thanks for the advice.