[SOLVED] Need help picking out a PSU for RTX 3090

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm currently rocking a 600w bronze grade PSU (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTJTO2O/) and a 2070 Super and I'm probably going to upgrade and buy a 3090 either day one or in the first month of its availability.

I'm thinking my 600w bronze isn't up to the task since whispers are saying it will require 850w+ | So (in advance) I'm looking to buy a solid 850w+ gold grade PSU for under $185.00.

I've found only one that I'm thinking of picking up but I'm wondering if maybe someone else has a better option that's either cheaper or slightly more expensive. Edit: removed link to protect my choice PSU :p

Last edited:
Solution
The base RTX 3090 will have a 350 watt power requirement. Two 8-pin PCIE power cables (150 watts each), plus 75 watts from the PCI-Ex16 slot on the motherboard, will provide up to 375 watts. I'm not a fan of adapters when it comes to power supplies, but yes, the Seasonic GX-850 will be enough for your system and new card.

-Wolf sends

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Should probably wait until the cards come out to see if they come with 2x8-pin power or the new 12-pin power requirement.

-Wolf sends
I might wait to buy the new PSU until after the event concludes- but I want to have my ducks in a row now. 2080 TI at bare minimum required 650w; so I'm certain I'll need a new more powerful PSU.

I think the new 12-pin would be included with the GPU? Otherwise how would people use the card? I honestly don't have much knowledge with these pin connectors / PSUs. I just feel like my PSU isn't going to be up to the task of powering my i7-8700k, 32gb ram, ssd, mobo, and a 3090 with 600w. It's going to be a very power hungry GPU with recommendations of 850w minimum with most recent rumors. (750w's owners may work out)
012xc4Mnz98PsTTqAYDeP6X-2.fit_lim.size_768x99999.jpg

Can anyone give some helpful options to my post? At most a confirmation that my linked 850w option would be sufficient if the 3090 did require 850w? / would it work with a new 12pin? lol~ Would appreciate it!

I'm also worried about PSU availability for 850w / 1000w's after the 3090 becomes available.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
The base RTX 3090 will have a 350 watt power requirement. Two 8-pin PCIE power cables (150 watts each), plus 75 watts from the PCI-Ex16 slot on the motherboard, will provide up to 375 watts. I'm not a fan of adapters when it comes to power supplies, but yes, the Seasonic GX-850 will be enough for your system and new card.

-Wolf sends

Solution
You might also consider navi 2x. Think about it. At least 2.2GHz. 5120 cores. possibly 20% higher ipc than navi1. Likely cheaper than Nvidia. Maybe it could be 3x faster than RX 5700XT. I doubt it. But maybe. It will at the very least be 2x faster than the 5700 XT. I think that's pretty much a guarantee. That was AMD's goal. If the rumors are true then the potential 6900 XT*(IDK if that's the name) could be both faster and less power hungry than the RTX 3090. The RTX 3090 will only be 2x the performance of the RX 5700 XT if rumors are correct. So the roles might be reversed this time. Although I fully expect Nvidia to have the better ray tracing solution. I think AMD will have the better all around GPU though.As long as they can get their drivers together I think AMD's GPU's will be better overall.

My hopes for Navi 2x.

AMD 6900 XT 5120 stream processors 2x first gen navi only 210 watts. I expect it to cost $999.

The AMD 6900 4608 stream processors 1.8x first gen navi 180 watts. I expect it to cost $699.

The AMD RX 6800 XT 4096 stream processors. 1.6x first gen navi 125 watt TDP. I expect it to cost $499

Not only that but I expect these to overclock to 2.5GHz and I think they will boost to 2.2GHz out of the box.

These are only guesses and might be wrong. But it's not entirely me just pulling numbers out of nowhere. This is an educated guess based on what AMD has said so far and rumors that are going around. Plus it's based on what I have learned about the GPU in the Xbox series X which is based on Navi 2x mostly. As for the prices, wattage, and performance numbers I posted that's just what I'd like to see.

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
You might also consider navi 2x. Think about it. At least 2.2GHz. 5120 cores. possibly 20% higher ipc than navi1. Likely cheaper than Nvidia. Maybe it could be 3x faster than RX 5700XT. I doubt it. But maybe. It will at the very least be 2x faster than the 5700 XT. I think that's pretty much a guarantee. That was AMD's goal. If the rumors are true then the potential 6900 XT*(IDK if that's the name) could be both faster and less power hungry than the RTX 3090. The RTX 3090 will only be 2x the performance of the RX 5700 XT if rumors are correct. So the roles might be reversed this time. Although I fully expect Nvidia to have the better ray tracing solution. I think AMD will have the better all around GPU though.As long as they can get their drivers together I think AMD's GPU's will be better overall.

My hopes for Navi 2x.

AMD 6900 XT 5120 stream processors 2x first gen navi only 210 watts. I expect it to cost $999.

The AMD 6900 4608 stream processors 1.8x first gen navi 180 watts. I expect it to cost $699.

The AMD RX 6800 XT 4096 stream processors. 1.6x first gen navi 125 watt TDP. I expect it to cost $499

Not only that but I expect these to overclock to 2.5GHz and I think they will boost to 2.2GHz out of the box.

These are only guesses and might be wrong. But it's not entirely me just pulling numbers out of nowhere. This is an educated guess based on what AMD has said so far and rumors that are going around. Plus it's based on what I have learned about the GPU in the Xbox series X which is based on Navi 2x mostly. As for the prices, wattage, and performance numbers I posted that's just what I'd like to see.

I actually bought a 5700 XT but the driver issues were so bad that I sent it back and bought a 2070 Super. It's encoder for livestreaming was lacking- and I found myself missing CUDA cores since alot of software utilizes them. I also wasn't able to use my G-Sync monitor and the performance wasn't as great (as I was lead to believe from a bunch of fake benchmarks) so personally- I'm burned on AMD until at least 2022.

They have to knock NVIDIA down like they did Intel for me to rejoin the frey earlier- but I doubt that will happen as easily. NAVI 2x could possibly have a card that's between 3080 - 3090- but I don't think they'll be able to topple 3090 (though it would be a great surprise and I'd warm back up to AMD if that did happen). I also strongly believe the days of great AMD deals (lower priced cards) will come to an end once they do topple 3090.

Rooting for AMD to knock NVIDIA down a peg- but this is the first time I have enough income to throw money towards possibly the best GPU for the next 2 years. I've always rocked low end / mid end for the past decade. That changes this year.

Last edited: