[SOLVED] Need help picking parts for new photo editing PC

Chad Ashton

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: $1500-1700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo editing (no video), watching videos (movie streaming and Youtube), web surfing, light gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Probably everything...I do currently have a GTX 1060 6GB GPU in my current computer I can re-use.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference...best price

Parts Preferences: AMD

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No idea

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440

Additional Comments: I prefer to build but I don't object to a pre-built if it will save me some money.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current machine is lacking...currently running an old Pentium G4560 with 8GB DDR3 RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB GPU. I just need to get a performance boost for editing RAW photo files using Lightroom and Photoshop with the occasional plug-in.

Solution

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo editing (no video), watching videos (movie streaming and Youtube), web surfing, light gaming.

Parts to Upgrade: Probably everything...I do currently have a GTX 1060 6GB GPU in my current computer I can re-use.

Additional Comments: I prefer to...

kanewolf

Titan

Additional Comments: I prefer to build but I don't object to a pre-built if it will save me some money.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current machine is lacking...currently running an old Pentium G4560 with 8GB DDR3 RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB GPU. I just need to get a performance boost for editing RAW photo files using Lightroom and Photoshop with the occasional plug-in.
Photo editing -- Lots of RAM, lots of storage, lots of BACKUPS.
I would think you could keep your 1060 for now.
I would start with something like this --
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($543.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($255.21 @ Walmart)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1399.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-29 10:21 EST-0500

Solution