Question Need help picking the best CPU [Gaming]

May 30, 2020
Hi guys,
I'm new here, really trying to become more of an enthusiast with PC building.
I've just purchased a Geforce RTX 2080Ti Founders Edition from the green team. But I still have my old Core i7 6800K processor. I don't want my CPU to bottleneck my beastly new gfx card, even slightly. I was looking into what the best CPU is and I'm a little confused.

My friend says to go Ryzen, and looking at the benchmarks, it doesn't make much sense. They are absurdly powerful, but seem to really suck at gaming (I guess a lot of cores doesn't mean gaming performance) :(

Then I was looking at the Core i9 7980xe, which I thought was the most powerful processor, but it looks like the extremely inexpensive Core i7 8700K (only $399) achieves the highest fps in gaming of ANY other processor in the world. Am I understanding this correctly? Should I get the 8700K? It seems like it's waaaay too good to be true when there are processors for $2000+ out there
usps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited:
but it looks like the extremely inexpensive Core i7 8700K (only $399) achieves the highest fps in gaming of ANY other processor in the world.
What benchmarks have you been looking at?!?!
The 8700k is great but the 9700k will be better due to better boost and the 10700k is even better due to even higher boosts.The 10900k has the highest boost of all but it's also pretty pricey compared to the others.

It seems like it's waaaay too good to be true when there are processors for $2000+ out there
Those cost that much because they are for professionals running professional stuff and that's pretty different from what games need.

May 22, 2020
Best CPU on the market for gaming right now? i9 10900k would be my best guess. AMD offers chips that are good for multitasking/purpose use, such as streaming, without a loss of FPS. If its solely for gaming, go 10900k, but if you want to go for a Ryzen chip for potential streaming/video editing, go for Ryzen 9 3900x. It's not bad for gaming, but Intel is a bit better.

You can still get away with the 8700k, but there is the 10700k, 9700k, and 9900k available if you want to go a bit cheaper than the 10900k. I think the 10900k is out of stock in most sites aswell.

Pickachu

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
Lets start from the beginning: do you have budget for cpu+mobo?
If yes, please write it.
If no, you can go with 10900k cpu, one of the best right now for gaming.

Zerk2012

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hi guys,
I'm new here, really trying to become more of an enthusiast with PC building.
I've just purchased a Geforce RTX 2080Ti Founders Edition from the green team. But I still have my old Core i7 6800K processor. I don't want my CPU to bottleneck my beastly new gfx card, even slightly. I was looking into what the best CPU is and I'm a little confused.

My friend says to go Ryzen, and looking at the benchmarks, it doesn't make much sense. They are absurdly powerful, but seem to really suck at gaming (I guess a lot of cores doesn't mean gaming performance) :(

Then I was looking at the Core i9 7980xe, which I thought was the most powerful processor, but it looks like the extremely inexpensive Core i7 8700K (only $399) achieves the highest fps in gaming of ANY other processor in the world. Am I understanding this correctly? Should I get the 8700K? It seems like it's waaaay too good to be true when there are processors for $2000+ out there
It depends on the monitor your using for a bottleneck. Not going to bottleneck at all is just not going to happen whatever you buy. If your just using a 1080p monitor then your monitor is already the bottleneck for a 2080ti.

Buy you a nice 10700K with a good cooler and your set for a long time.

If price is a issue then a 9700KF cost a bit less and is still a beast of a gaming processor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/LhCD4D,yhxbt6/

Reactions: Strafez
May 22, 2020
How the heck did this rumor start?!?!
Streaming will always interfere with gaming, you will always lose FPS no matter how many cores you have, no matter if you have AMD or intel.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-streaming-encoding-coffee-lake-ryzen,5326-5.html
That's my bad Of course there is always FPS loss when streaming. But I assume it isn't as a drastic loss as compared to Intel though, correct?
I must admit, I'm not as well informed in PC parts as others may be but its' what i've been hearing all the time about AMD vs Intel. I'd like to learn more.

Phaaze88

Splendid
Ambassador
And here's an important question: what is your monitor's resolution?

If it is still 1080p - and seeing you already bought a 2080Ti - I'll tell you this now: Do not expect high gpu usage. No cpu alive right now can keep that gpu fully occupied at 1080p without using the DSR feature.
You WILL be cpu limited otherwise.
Enabling DSR is artificially increasing the resolution. With that, you'll be able to max gpu usage, and will no longer be cpu limited, but you'll lose fps accordingly.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS