[SOLVED] Need help picking watercooling parts.

Mar 16, 2021
Hey guys I am going to do a custom water loop and I want you guys to hivemind and draw me up a parts list. Hardline tubing is the only requirement. I will be watercooling the motherboard and cpu. The motherboard is the asus rog crosshair VIII formula and the case is a Lian Li Dynamic 011dx. The budget for the loop is $400. Thanks so much.

Solution
Water cooling part selection is not the for the faint hearted. Takes hours of planning really.

Step 1) Complete parts list (and what you want to water cool)
Step 2) Choosing your radiators
Step 3) Choosing your pump/res
Step 4) Tubing size/type
Step 5) Fittings (2 per item in the loop, minimum, additional drain (valve) and fill ports are recommended)
Step 6) Water cooling blocks (This may decide Step 5 for you)
Step 7) Fans

Do a layout and see how long the runs are, order double the amount of tubing you need (hardline sucks when you make a mistake)

Plan your bends.

If you aren't bending, triple the fitting budget (or more) As you will need a lot of fittings to get around corners and line things up.

There are easier ways. EK sells a...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Water cooling part selection is not the for the faint hearted. Takes hours of planning really.

Step 1) Complete parts list (and what you want to water cool)
Step 2) Choosing your radiators
Step 3) Choosing your pump/res
Step 4) Tubing size/type
Step 5) Fittings (2 per item in the loop, minimum, additional drain (valve) and fill ports are recommended)
Step 6) Water cooling blocks (This may decide Step 5 for you)
Step 7) Fans

Do a layout and see how long the runs are, order double the amount of tubing you need (hardline sucks when you make a mistake)

Plan your bends.

If you aren't bending, triple the fitting budget (or more) As you will need a lot of fittings to get around corners and line things up.

There are easier ways. EK sells a distribution plate/res/pump for the O11, though that will be a good chunk of your budget. That basically defines for you where everything will need to go except radiators.

Rules of thumb: minimum 120mm radiator for each device in the loop for adequate cooling equivalent to mid-range air coolers. More is desirable.

Thick radiators tend to have less fin density, so double the thickness is not double the performance, but still better than your average radiator.

$400 might not be enough for a complete system from scratch, depends on how high end you want to go.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
EKWB has a monoblock for that motherboard.
The rest idk i havent done watercooling in my life yet : )

Looks like that fits the Hero board, not the Formula.

Though worth looking into if you don't mind spending on it. Though a reuseable AM4 block will probably be more forward looking. Though who knows if AM5 is going to be compatible.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would say if you are starting out, pay the premium to EK and buy one of their kits. That will get you everything you should need, and high quality parts.

Performance-PCs.com is a great place to pick up individual parts, like additional drain valves and fittings (They also carry EK) Expensive, but they will generally have what you are looking for and won't ship things in an envelope where they get crushed (looking at you Amazon...)

Okay, maybe too much:

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/shared/oW6050f2d3ed1dc

$547 for just the CPU and a 360mm radiator with hardline tubing. High end stuff though.

You could drop the EK Vardar fans, pick up some more tubing, and get yourself a drain fitting valve at least. Usually okay to fill from the top of tube style reservoirs. Though an extra soft tube fitting so you can run a tube for draining/filling is a good idea.

You would also need a heat gun to do bends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wateriscool