[SOLVED] Need HELP Please, new GPU black screen

jake88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
hello i just bought the 6800 xt merc but cannot get the screen to show unless i connect through the motherboard. I have just reformatted my computer today and I am up to date with all the windows updates, I've tried disabling the onboard graphics from both the bios and windows.
should i install the driver for the gpu first then switch the hdmi from MB TO gpu After installation?

Solution
they fans are running , the lights on the gpu are on, but device mananger does not pi ck it up?

have you tried a different pci-e slot?

wait, you are in uefi mode right? I believe those cards won’t work with legacy bios.

6+2 pcie connector should at least make it work.
No, first please provide FULL PC specs. What's the make and Model number of your Motherboard ? Do you have the latest system BIOS installed on your gaming rig ? Try to clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, and then try again.

Are you booting the PC in UEFI or Legacy/CSM mode ?

jake88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
how do i share dxdiag in this forum ?
motherboard is a ROG STRIX Z390E-Gaming
16bg 3200hz ram
i5-9600k

as for booting the pc its both legacy and uefi
under CSM
Boot device control uefi and legacy
boot from network devices legacy only
boot frrom storage devices uefi only
boot from pci-e/pci expansion devices legacy only

Last edited:

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Are you certain all bios settings are correct?

is the gpu detected in device manager? If not are the fans spinning? Is it plugged in properly in the pci-e slot? Are you certain the pci-e power connectors are plugged properly?

jake88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Are you certain all bios settings are correct?

is the gpu detected in device manager? If not are the fans spinning? Is it plugged in properly in the pci-e slot? Are you certain the pci-e power connectors are plugged properly?
they fans are running , the lights on the gpu are on, but device mananger does not pi ck it up?

jake88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
amd recommends a 750 watt power supply, but from what ive been reading online i should be able to get away with a 650w, (MINES 700W).So i doubt this is the problem ?ive pulled out all but 1 ssd.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Whats your psu model?

a lower than recommended psu should make the gpu work at no or low load, but it is… not recommended.

so long as its not an el cheapo brand you should be good… -ish

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
JMI , i changed pci slots and it worked, wtf?ive only ever used the one pci slot wonder why it doesnt work for this card?anyway thanks mate!

sure thing! perhaps the other pcie slot is already broken.

edit: beware though, some motherboards with operate at older pcie 2.0 or at x4 at any other slot than the first. Performance might be affected.