atlasfenrir

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
I have an MSI GE72 2QF Apache Pro, the fans went out in it so I replaced the fans today, as well as replaced the thermal paste.

After installing the new fans and paste, it ran great for a little over an hour and played Final Fantasy XIV to test the new fans, and the installation was a success.

However..my laptop froze while I was afk and was unresponsive to the windows key, control-alt-delete and sleep mode. I held the power button to force shutdown, and now anytime I try to boot up the laptop, the keyboard lights up and the screen stays black. No backlight or anything. It will stay on for about a minute and shut right back off. No display, no boot screen, nothing. Keyboard just turns off as well as the power light.

I've opened the case and looked around and don't see anything that would or could cause the issue. No heat damage, paste leaks or wires out of place. I've tried taking the battery out, leaving it unplugged and plugging it back it and sometimes I'll get a boot screen with "MSI" across the screen. Then it has a loading icon and freezes again.

I've tried keeping the battery out and keeping the charger plugged in, and sometimes I can get passed the boot screen and get into my desktop. But the laptop is upside down without it's casing, so I can't really leave it like that. I've also tried keeping the battery out and putting the case back on to see if it would work, but I again ran into the loading error, and got a blue error screen that froze.

The battery holds a charge, and there doesn't appear to be any electrical damage. I've done everything I can think of..so if you can help me, I'm open to any advice. I have major depression and my laptop is my escape. So I'm pretty bummed out about this. It honestly feels like I've lost or am losing a friend.

Solution
Oh OK. I thought you said it ran for an hour.

If it won't even start up it won't post.

If it won't post then it won't boot to Windows.

If it won't even post then I think you have a bad connection soemwhere.
I think you'll have to pull down the laptop again and put it back carefully - double check every elecvtrical connection.

Otherwise take it to a laptop repair $hop.

atlasfenrir

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
70C is warm for a GPU at idle. What about while gaming?
Use HWInfo64 - Sensors to get the CPU temps.

Did you clean and re-paste both the CPU and GPU?
Sorry. 70C was for while in game. I didn't get a chance to check idle, and yes. I cleaned and re-pasted both. Couldn't find any 99% alcohol because people around here are still making their own hand sanitizer. So I had to use 70%. I made sure it was dry before applying paste.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Oh OK. I thought you said it ran for an hour.

If it won't even start up it won't post.

If it won't post then it won't boot to Windows.

If it won't even post then I think you have a bad connection soemwhere.
I think you'll have to pull down the laptop again and put it back carefully - double check every elecvtrical connection.

Otherwise take it to a laptop repair $hop.

Solution
Here the guy had the same problem, try trough his bios reset,