Question Need help please

Aug 3, 2021
Hello, first post here.
I'm perplexed by the problem I'm having, hopefully someone here can offer guidance. The last time my PC booted properly, I had downloaded a program to clone my 300 GB HDD to a new 1TB SSD. Once I downloaded the program, I shut down the PC. Removed every other drive except for the boot drive. Then added the SSD. Once I turned on the PC, I got the red LED's in the bottom right corner flashing, then it would shut down after 5 seconds, then try to reboot and would do this continually until I killed the power. At the time, the components were as follows:
Gigabyte 390Z UD Mobo, Intel I5 9400F CPU, 16 Gb OLOy DDR4 Ram @ 3200 Mhz, and an older Gigabyte GTX 460 PCIe GPU, and a 750 Watt PSU.

So I started replacing things,
I bought a new Gigabyte Z390 X Gaming Mobo, I5 9600KF CPU, and 16 Gb patriot Viper DDR4 Ram @ 4000 mhz. Thinking one of these things were the problem, as the flashing red lights kept stopping at DRAM check stay there for a few seconds, then reboot itself (Whether I had the HDD plugged in or not). Anyhow, I had systematically replaced everything (Mobo, CPU, RAM) and still got the same result a few seconds of red lights then continual reboot. I went to Best Buy, and bought a new Corsair 850Watt PSU, thinking it has to be the old one. Same thing is going on. I'm thinking it may be the Graphics card, however, why would the red warning light stop on DRAM check then reboot if it never gets to the VGA check light? please help I have no idea where to go from here. Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I had downloaded a program to clone my 300 GB HDD to a new 1TB SSD
That was your first mistake. you should've installed the OS afresh on the SSD without the cloning. The only thing you would've needed to do on the prior HDD was to migrate any and/or all critical data from it.

750W is the wattage, you're going to have to mention the make and model of the unit and it's age if it's being recycled from the older platform. Similarly, Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 850W is the wattage, it doesn't state the model of the unit. Speaking of platforms, what were the specs to your older system? For your platform, you're advised to fabricate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. On that note, what OS were you working on?

Which two slots are the ram sticks populating on the motherboard?

Aug 3, 2021
Thanks for the reply Lutfij. Unfortunately, I had ordered a Windows 10 Home install stick from Amazon when I built this rig around Christmas, which installed, but I couldn't register it due to it being only for OEM. So I ended up returning the memory stick, and downloading the "correct" version direct from MS, but did not get a boot disk, or a memory stick. In the past, after changing certain hardware (Mobo typically) I'd lose the MBR bootstrap and have to reinstall Windows anyway So I was a little leery of what might transpire migrating to the new SSD. So my plan was to reboot the computer, mirror the HDD to the SSD, and speed up things a bit using the SSD as the boot drive, but have a backup boot drive if needed. Obviously, I haven't made it that far as of yet due to being in upgrade hell. I just seriously can't wrap my mind around what could be stopping the boot after replacing everything. Anyhow, the first PSU was/ is a corsair modular around a year old, but I can't remember the model I will post it later if you think it's relevant. All the other components are from a build I did around Christmas 2020 this past year, so everything I just replaced except for the Video card is a year old or so. The GTX 460 is around 3 years old now I think. The new PSU is a Corsair - RMx Series RM850x 80 PLUS Gold fully modular ATX Supply. Thanks again for your response. The two RAM sticks are in A1 and B1, though I've tried A2 and B2, then single stick in A1, then B1. Same problem. Thanks

EDIT: Just FYI, the new Mobo, RAM, and CPU have only the video card, hard drive (s) and the case in common.. everything else is new for instance the new RAM was never in the old Mobo, the New CPU was never in the old Mobo. Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021
Well, partially solved anyhow. I removed everything from the PC case,, set it all up on boxes and such, jumped the power switch posts and low and behold, it booted fine... I tried to put it back into the case and no surprise no boot. At least its progress. A new case should be easier to get than a video card. Thank you Lutfij for your interest.