heres my hardware

amd 1.2 tbird
abit kt7a motherboard
256mb crucial pc133 ram
coolermaster 6h11 fan
elsa gladiac geforce2 GTS
quantum 40gig 7200 ata100
sb xgamer

i have connected all cables and wires but when i finally push power the fans start turning, the HD light is on and nothing else happens. Also the lights on the case are all on, dont know what the problem is please help. And is the cpu suppose to go straight into the socket? because when i put it in one side is always up, wondering if thats the problem, thank you

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Well if the CPU is at a slant I suggest you click it in! There should be a level tot he side of the slot to insert and eject the cpu.

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"

lillazy23

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
am i suppose to push it in? I tried to put it every way but it still doesnt go straight in. One side is always up, could it be the motherboard?? its a ABIT KT7A

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes that is definatly the problem check the pins on the bottom of the cpu to make sure that they are all strait if not very gently straiten and insert the cpu so that it sits flat in the socket.

SANDMAN

G

I haven't worked on this processor or MB, but the 8 or 10 systems I have upgraded have a ZIF socket (zero insertion force socket) for the processor. If that is the case for your system YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PUSH! The processor should FALL into place when properly positioned.

If this processor is not a socket-type processor, skip this message because nothing in here applies to slot-type CPUs.

1st, look at the pins on the bottom of the processor. They must all be straight, and perpendicular to the flat surface of the chip. If they are not, it is probably because you tried to force the processor into position without OPENING the ZIF socket lever. To open the lever, press down and apply pressure away from the socket, then release downward pressure. You should be able then to lift the lever until it is sticking out at right angles to the socket. The align the corner of the CPU with the angle cutout and/or dot which identifies pin 1 with the angle cutout in the ZIF socket. Sometimes the socket has only MISSING PIN HOLES at one of the 4 corners to identify the "angle" and thus pin 1.

The CPU should DROP into the socket, absolutely no force required. If the pins were bent and restraightened, this might not be strictly true, but you should be able to get it in place without feeling like your PUSHING it. Once the processor is in and level with the socket, move the ZIF lever back down parallel to the socket surface, and it should snap and lock down in that position.

I hope this helps.