Need help powering/connecting RGB case fans to PSU

Aug 8, 2018
First time posting here, hoping someone can help...

Just put together a new pc, bought the Sahara P35 case with RGB Case fans.
Everything else in the PC works except the fans, I can't get them to spin or light up. All case fans are plugged into a controller. There's a 4 pin male molex power cable coming off the controller with IR receiver that controls LEDs and fan speed. I initially tried to use a molex to 4-pin fan adapter that came with it, but it just wouldn't work, not matter which input I tried on the motherboard. So I decided (based on a recommendation by someone else on Amazon who bought it) to connect it directly to the PSU.

I found a female molex to 6-pin connector and plugged it into the Perif input of my EVGA 1000gq PSU. When I came to turn on the computer, I heard a click and then nothing would turn on. As soon as I unplugged the Molex to 6-pin adapter, everything worked.

I'm starting to wonder if the fan/RGB controller itself is faulty. Or whether the adapter I tried is faulty? Or whether I'm just being dumb and there's a much better way of doing this?
Any help is hugely appreciated

Case: Sahara P35
Motherboard: Asus TUF x299
CPU: i7 7820x
GPU: Asus GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA 1000qg
RAM: 32gb Kingston Hyperx Beast 2600mhz
SSD: Samsung EVO 500gb

Solution
I fully expect that the "Molex" connector you cite coming from the case's fan controller unit is a MALE (with 4 pins inside a shroud) connector. It is supposed to plug directly into a Peripheral 4-pin FEMALE (with 4 holes) Molex connector from the PSU. It does NOT connect to anything on the mobo.

So why were you trying to use an adapter? Now, MAYBE this is what you thought. The PSU is Modular. That is, all its outputs are exposed as sockets on one side of the PSU, and the unit comes with a collection of cables that plug into these sockets. You use only the cables with the output connector your system needs. My guess is that you saw a socket on the PSU marked "Perif" with 6 holes, and though you should get an adapter to convert the fan...
Which controller?

The controller generally plugs into the PSU.....but however you had it hooked up sounds wrong because...it did what it did.....and I think it's a good thing you didn't leave it like that for long (hopefully).

It sounds like you just had it connected wrong to the PSU.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I fully expect that the "Molex" connector you cite coming from the case's fan controller unit is a MALE (with 4 pins inside a shroud) connector. It is supposed to plug directly into a Peripheral 4-pin FEMALE (with 4 holes) Molex connector from the PSU. It does NOT connect to anything on the mobo.

So why were you trying to use an adapter? Now, MAYBE this is what you thought. The PSU is Modular. That is, all its outputs are exposed as sockets on one side of the PSU, and the unit comes with a collection of cables that plug into these sockets. You use only the cables with the output connector your system needs. My guess is that you saw a socket on the PSU marked "Perif" with 6 holes, and though you should get an adapter to convert the fan controller's male Molex to a 6-pin gizmo that would plug into that "Perif" socket on the PSU. Well, that's getting too complicated. Those modular PSU socket designs are NOT standard between makers, so exactly how that socket is wired , and whether that matches what your "adapter" does, is not predictable. BUT the PSU already came with the correct cable!! Look at the cables that came with it. You will find one with a 6-pin connector on one end marked "Perif", and that plugs into the corresponding socket of the PSU. That cable has THREE female 4-pin Molex output connectors on it, and you should plug one of those into the power input connector of the fan controller in your case.

Solution