Need help putting together a parts list for a work only triple monitor build

breunikc

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
I'm currently in the process of building my mom a new pc so that she can work from home. Budget is around $1,250 for everything. I'm assuming all the peripherals will be somewhere around $400, leaving about 800-850 left. That being said, she would like to keep the price tag as low as possible while having a smooth running build.

She will most likely NOT be using any more than 1680x1050. Her current work setup at work is:
CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
Onboard: Intel HD Graphics 4400
Monitor (x3): https://www.acer.com/ac/en/EE/content/professional-model/UM.CV6EE.001
Has 500GB partition

She was given a minimum specs list, but it doesn't really say anything other than needing:
Windows 7 or 8.1
4+ GB RAM

I am curious if anyone could help me out and throw together a parts list together that would meet her needs. That or if it's not feasible with the budget then let me know that.
If it is possible, and looking at her current setup I'm assuming it is, I would like to stick to a single GPU.

NOTE: I have built my own pc before and am comfortable doing so for this build.

Solution
DVD: I assume she'll want a DVD drive. Even though she'll probably never use it. Which is why I chose the NZXT case and a DVD drive.

Monitor Stand: Having monitors mounted on a stand will free up a lot of desk space. There are different types depending on the desk. Weighted base units tend to tip over easily, only use them if there is no other option due to desk design. Bolt through is my preferred type but requires drilling holes in the desk and need a wood desk. I listed a clamp mount as they are the easiest. Although I wouldn't use one on a thin or glass desk, that is one I'd use a weighted base model.

Monitors: IPS for good view angles. Cables are to accomodate the greater reach you'll likely need.

GPU: The GTX 1050 was chosen...
Here's a build you can start with.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TCSunBow - X3 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill - 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg Business)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill - RNX-N150NUB USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 92 PWM 33.15 CFM 92mm Fan ($9.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 92 PWM 33.15 CFM 92mm Fan ($9.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Logitech - Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($18.89 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $562.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-12 13:41 EST-0500

Tried to be as efficient as possible in terms of spending. This is a base build for you to get am idea of the essentials. From here, I'll let you judge whether you want more and/or faster RAM. Larger SSD. More HDD. More fans. Etc etc...

Went with a 6-core Ryzen CPU in case she does heavy workloads or uses demanding software (or uses multiple low-demanding software at once). This CPU includes a Vega 11 integrated graphics, which can easily support 3 monitors since it's only 1080p (you will however need to get HDMI splitters).

240Gb of SSD should be more than enough to install most work-related software out there. Plus a large 2TB HDD to store files.

Took a micro-ATX motherboard so the tower won't be too big. It still includes 4 RAM slots in case you think she needs am extra 16Gb (with 3 monitors I can only imagine the number of programs + chrome tabs that will be open).

The tower is a smaller size but still includes space for a CD drive if needed.

Build includes a WiFi adapter, Wireless Mouse and Keyboard combo, 2 additional case fans though I think you can add more (also went with BeQuiet fans so it doesn't get too loud).

As for Windows, you can get an OEM Windows 10 Pro License for less than 10$ on Ebay. 100% legit amd official. I use this as well.

Let me know what you think. Would be nice to know what kind of work she does so I can adapt the build.

DVD: I assume she'll want a DVD drive. Even though she'll probably never use it. Which is why I chose the NZXT case and a DVD drive.

Monitor Stand: Having monitors mounted on a stand will free up a lot of desk space. There are different types depending on the desk. Weighted base units tend to tip over easily, only use them if there is no other option due to desk design. Bolt through is my preferred type but requires drilling holes in the desk and need a wood desk. I listed a clamp mount as they are the easiest. Although I wouldn't use one on a thin or glass desk, that is one I'd use a weighted base model.

Monitors: IPS for good view angles. Cables are to accomodate the greater reach you'll likely need.

GPU: The GTX 1050 was chosen for triple monitor support. You may be able to save a little with a Radeon Rx 550. I don't remember off hand if the RX 550 supports triple monitors. I know the GT 1030 does not.

RAM: I don't know what she does for work. A lot of open tabs can eat up RAM. Also 16GB should last her a long time and prices are good right now.

CPU: There is hardly any price difference between a quad and hex core CPU. The minor performance gains of a Ryzen 2600 are too minor. The Ryzen 1600 seems the best fit for long life and limited budget.

SSD: Doesn't sound like she needs much storage. The SSD means she won't be waiting for the computer to load.

Windows: Don't know if she needs Home or Pro. Depending on how she connects to work. She may need Pro. Better be safe than sorry. Plus she can use bitlocker.

PSU: You don't want junk.

What is missing? I left out a keyboard, mouse and backup drive. I don't know what she needs or prefers. I like the Logitech MK700/MK710. It is a nice wireless keyboard and includes a mouse.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($113.78 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB SC GAMING Video Card ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($124.89 @ My Choice Software)
Monitor: LG - 24MC57HQ-P 23.8" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Mount-It! MI-753 Triple Screen LCD Computer Monitor Desk Mount Stand Arm for 19, 20, 22, 23, 24 Inch Monitors VESA 75 and 100 Compatible Full Motion, Tilt, Swivel, Rotate, 66 lbs Capacity, Black ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Other: AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female - 6 Feet (2 Pack) ($8.99 @ Amazon)
Other: AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable - 10 Feet (Latest Standard)
Other: DP to HDMI, Rankie 10FT Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDMI HDTV Cable 10ft - Black ($11.99 @ Amazon)
Other: AmazonBasics CL3 Rated (In-Wall Installation) HDMI Cable - 10 Feet ($7.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1230.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-12 14:22 EST-0500

Solution

breunikc

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

I suppose I could've expanded on some of that a little more. For starters, she is a medical coder/biller. She has anywhere from 6-12 programs up at a time. Mainly being their main software for record keeping (Meditech) and others like browser, excel, word, and so on. She would maybe once in a while watch some prerecorded training webinars, but I think that is mainly it.

Windows Pro for sure.
Considering she is currently running 4GB RAM, I would be tempted to bump your build down to 8 vs 16 just because I don't see her needing that much (thoughts? not sure on price difference b/n 8 vs 16 and if taking $50 off the price tag is worth it)
She has a keyboard and mouse combo already picked out.
Would be tempted to take the SSD off since that's not a huge deal for things to be up immediately. Not sold on the idea yet though.

Other than that I like what I'm seeing. Any monitor suggestions? Keeping in mind she likes the smaller 19" screens she has now also would have to be mountable.

breunikc

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

Copied this from previous reply (after you posted):
I suppose I could've expanded on some of that a little more. For starters, she is a medical coder/biller. She has anywhere from 6-12 programs up at a time. Mainly being their main software for record keeping (Meditech) and others like browser, excel, word, and so on. She would maybe once in a while watch some prerecorded training webinars, but I think that is mainly it.

Windows Pro for sure.
Considering she is currently running 4GB RAM, I would be tempted to bump your build down to 8 vs 16 just because I don't see her needing that much (thoughts? not sure on price difference b/n 8 vs 16 and if taking $50 off the price tag is worth it)
She has a keyboard and mouse combo already picked out.
Would be tempted to take the SSD off since that's not a huge deal for things to be up immediately. Not sold on the idea yet though.

I am also building her a desk and was thinking of a bolt through since I'm going through the process of making a customized desk anyway. (Unless the price is a lot more for a bolt through vs clamp.

Monitors: She likes her smaller monitors, any suggestions on smaller ones?

SSD: As said in the quote from previous comment, tempted to not include one, but at the price point it is at I'll probably just leave it, or go with a little smaller

There are plenty of bolt through stands. That is what I use. It just looks cleaner. I built my own desk too. Most stands which are bolt through usually include a clamp or base option. Linked is the one I use. It has the bolt through option (grommet) which I use. The only thing I don't like is the lack of internal cable routing to hide cables. Those cost more. The stand is pretty flexible. I can set the tightness well to allow the monitors to flip from portrait to landscape easily yet stay in place after movement. Just figure out her view distance before you commit to drilling holes. Use the base for a week if you aren't sure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HSJX1FG/

Definitely keep the SSD. For office work I'd rather an SSD with an i3 than an i7 with a HDD. It just makes a huge difference in performance. Since most of the time CPU speed is not an issue for office work. Waiting for everything to load off a hard drive is time consuming. Once I upgrade one computer in an office with an SSD. I'm usually back out upgrading every other computer.

Now is the time to buy RAM. True it may come down in the future. As RAM prices have been high for a long time. I wouldn't hedge my bets on current good prices. When I built my computer in 2012 16GB of RAM, good quality RAM, cost less than $60. Since she has a lot a software open and web pages are starting to soak up RAM. 16GB is a good number for some life.

These monitors are a bit smaller. They are still IPS and have VESA mount points. Make sure any monitor you get has VESA mounts. They are a requirements for stands. As she is coming from 19" 1440x900 displays these 21.5" 1920x1080 monitors will have a higher PPI. If she has vision problems. I'd urge her to reconsider 23+ inch displays.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DnnG3C/lg-monitor-22mc57hqp