Dec 11, 2020
Specs:
AMD 5800x
ASUS b550-f mobo
ballistix 32gb ddr4 c16 3600mhz
Gigabyte RTX 3070 oc
Corsair rm 750x
be quiet dark rock pro4 cooler

It doesnt always do it but it happens anytime from gaming or just opening a new tab on chrome. My screen goes black, nothing works as far as keyboard and mouse, and theres a solid yellow light on the Mobo on. This is my 2nd system ive built but as far as troubleshooting I dont know what else to do. I reset bios and and OC's and it still happens.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I believe there is a typo regarding the motherboard: you meant "B550-F" - correct?

If so does the following link provide the applicable Motherboard User Manual?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E16609_ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

Do verify that I identified the correct User Manual.

Reference physically numbered Pages 1-2 and 1-21 to establish which LED is lit and verify what color that LED is.

Also, on your next successful boot, immediately go into Reliability History and look for any error codes or warnings that occurred just before or at the time of a black screen event.

Reactions: kurdtnz
I was just looking at your motherboards manual, there is no 'orange led' on the Q-LED so I imagine it is the red one? If so, it's for the CPU. Is it a new build? If so, did you download the latest BIOS for Ryzen 5000? The other LED it could be is the yellow one which points to a DRAM issue. Is your RAM slotted into B2 and A2?

I believe there is a typo regarding the motherboard: you meant "B550-F" - correct?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E16609_ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

Reference physically numbered Pages 1-2 and 1-21 to establish which LED is lit and verify what color that LED is.

Also, on your next successful boot, immediately go into Reliability History and look for any error codes or warnings that occurred just before or at the time of a black screen event.
beat me to it! ;)

Dec 11, 2020
I was just looking at your motherboards manual, there is no 'orange led' on the Q-LED so I imagine it is the red one? If so, it's for the CPU. Is it a new build? If so, did you download the latest BIOS for Ryzen 5000? The other LED it could be is the yellow one which points to a DRAM issue. Is your RAM slotted into B2 and A2?

yes sorry it is B-550-f non wifi. The light is actually yellow just a little tint of orange my bad. I have all 4 slots filled with 8gb

Dec 11, 2020

it is actually yellow

Ralston18

Titan
@kurdtnz : Always good to know that someone has the same general sense of things.

Feel free to chime in.

Especially if there is some error of omission or commission on my part.

@CASEiFER

If "Yellow" and the "bottom" LED then that indicates a memory (DRAM) problem. (Page 1-21).

Check both the RAM configuration and that the RAM modules are fully and firmly seated.

Dec 11, 2020
@kurdtnz : Always good to know that someone has the same general sense of things.

Feel free to chime in.

Especially if there is some error of omission or commission on my part.

@CASEiFER

If "Yellow" and the "bottom" LED then that indicates a memory (DRAM) problem. (Page 1-21).

Check both the RAM configuration and that the RAM modules are fully and firmly seated.
Ram is firmly seated. I checked the Reliability History and it seems everytime the issue occurs the same audio app keeps crashing. I uninstalled it, I never even used it or knew it was there it was installed with a different program. Im going to run some stress tests, open a bunch of tabs, and play some games to see if I can get it to happen again. I appreciate all your guys' help though.

Ralston18

Titan
As always, be sure that all important data is backed up and proven recoverable and readable.

If something is astray (beyond the audio app) stress testing may break something and things get worse.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at at time) to observe system performance as well.

Dec 11, 2020
As always, be sure that all important data is backed up and proven recoverable and readable.

If something is astray (beyond the audio app) stress testing may break something and things get worse.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at at time) to observe system performance as well.
ok. it was fine all day yesterday and it happend once last night. All it says in the resource monitor was windows was not shut down properly

Ralston18

Titan
You meant Reliability History (versus Resource Monitor I think).

"Not shut down properly" is likely a power loss of some sort.

A normal Window's shutdown does not immediately turn off the power. Windows will finish on-going updates and other house-keeping chores before shutting down.

Any interruptions to a proper Windows shutdown can cause file corruption and mess with both configuration settings and/or data.

How many times does that "not shutdown properly" error occur? Look at the dates and times: do you seen any patterns?

Does your residence experience frequent power outages, lights blinking or dimming, circuit breakers tripping? Power problems of any sort?l How many devices are plugged into the circuit shared by your computer? Especially heavy appliances such as refrigerators, heaters, washing machines, etc..

Are all power cords from wall outlet to PC firmly in plugged in? Any interim power path devices such as power strips, extension cords, or surge protectors?

Do you have any extra, known working power cords that you can swap in?

Intermittent problems can be difficult to identify. Take another look at Reliability History and also the less user friendly Event Viewer.

Dec 11, 2020
You meant Reliability History (versus Resource Monitor I think).

"Not shut down properly" is likely a power loss of some sort.

A normal Window's shutdown does not immediately turn off the power. Windows will finish on-going updates and other house-keeping chores before shutting down.

Any interruptions to a proper Windows shutdown can cause file corruption and mess with both configuration settings and/or data.

How many times does that "not shutdown properly" error occur? Look at the dates and times: do you seen any patterns?

Does your residence experience frequent power outages, lights blinking or dimming, circuit breakers tripping? Power problems of any sort?l How many devices are plugged into the circuit shared by your computer? Especially heavy appliances such as refrigerators, heaters, washing machines, etc..

Are all power cords from wall outlet to PC firmly in plugged in? Any interim power path devices such as power strips, extension cords, or surge protectors?

Do you have any extra, known working power cords that you can swap in?

Intermittent problems can be difficult to identify. Take another look at Reliability History and also the less user friendly Event Viewer.
It probably says that because when this happens my monitor goes black and my mouse and keyboard dont work so I have to hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on. All thats plugged in is my monitor, pc, and light. I dont have any power problems and everything is firmly plugged in