[SOLVED] Need help recovering space on an sd card

banditgeneral4

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2013
I have a 256gb SD card. When I put it in the pc it says please insert disk into drive. When I check disk management it says that it only has 239.08GB of unallocated space. When I click on create new simple volume, nothing happens. How can I recover all of my space to use my card?

Solution
I have a 256gb SD card. When I put it in the pc it says please insert disk into drive. When I check disk management it says that it only has 239.08GB of unallocated space. When I click on create new simple volume, nothing happens. How can I recover all of my space to use my card?
That is normal and what it is supposed to be.

"256GB" is reported in Windows as 239GB
Just like "1TB" is reported as 1.81TB.
500GB is reported as 465GB

You have lost NO space.
Base 2 vs Base 10
Computer vs Human.

ALL storage devices are like this.

USAFRet

Titan

You have lost NO space.
Base 2 vs Base 10
Computer vs Human.

Solution

banditgeneral4

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2013

You have lost NO space.
Base 2 vs Base 10
Computer vs Human.

Thanks. I still can't access the storage. On Disk Management it still is striped and says that it has unallocated space. In explorer it says no volume. When I click on create new simple volume, nothing happens. How can I get to where I can put stuff on the card?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. I still can't access the storage. On Disk Management it still is striped and says that it has unallocated space. In explorer it says no volume. When I click on create new simple volume, nothing happens. How can I get to where I can put stuff on the card?
Commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.
Be absolutely sure you know which drive you are accessing. Once you hit Go, that is a one way street.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/format-hard-drive-command-prompt,37632.html

Reactions: banditgeneral4

banditgeneral4

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2013