Need help regarding motherboard upgrade.

micsid

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Hello.
Motherboard of my system is dead (TA790GXB A2+), I am left with X3 720BE processor, Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, Corsair 450 PSU, CM690 cabinet. I cant find any DDR2 supported AMD motherboard here in India, I dont understand what to do. My system is always on. As you can see I dont have a graphic card, I dont play much heavy games. Its a kind of HTPC.
Shall I upgrade my mobo+RAM DDR3 (what options are there?)
Shall I upgrade my processor also, how much value or life my current processor has.
Please help me with this.
Thanks.

Solution
First of all u might be lucky enough to find a second hand motherboard that will support ur processor, so do look into that. Now, AMD processors are normally good and they do offer a good price to performance ratio. Compared to Intel, AMD is much cheaper and offers more feature packed chips. But if looked closely Intel chips offers more performance per core compared to AMD. For example a Intel i5-4460 bangs the AMD FX-8350 in all aspects, though the i5 has only 4 physical cores with no hyperthreading and the FX-8350 has 8 physical cores. Even a i3- 4150 Haswell Refresh CPU priced almost same as the FX-6300 will offer a similar performance as the FX-6300. The FX-6300 will only over perform the i3 when all 6 cores are in use, but that is...

abhilaas

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Hiii, seems like the motherboard and processor are both very outdated and they are currently unavailable in India, I think its the right time for u to go for an upgrade. Currently Intel systems are more reliable and offers more upgrade path in the future. Well if you are in a tight budget then go for an i3-6100 Skylake and a mid range Gigabyte, Asus or MSI chipset, it will provide you with a blazing fast and more reliable system.

micsid

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks abhilaas for your answer to my problem. If there is no possibility of using my old processor, I can arrange Rs. 30K at max. What are your views about AMD FX & APU series.

abhilaas

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
First of all u might be lucky enough to find a second hand motherboard that will support ur processor, so do look into that. Now, AMD processors are normally good and they do offer a good price to performance ratio. Compared to Intel, AMD is much cheaper and offers more feature packed chips. But if looked closely Intel chips offers more performance per core compared to AMD. For example a Intel i5-4460 bangs the AMD FX-8350 in all aspects, though the i5 has only 4 physical cores with no hyperthreading and the FX-8350 has 8 physical cores. Even a i3- 4150 Haswell Refresh CPU priced almost same as the FX-6300 will offer a similar performance as the FX-6300. The FX-6300 will only over perform the i3 when all 6 cores are in use, but that is very rare, even the most recent games run perfectly on a quad core. Not only that InteL CPUs are very power efficient compared to AMD. So u can easily make out that Intel chips are more powerful then AMD. But still if u want u can definately go for them they are not that bad. AND RS 30000 CAN EASILY GIVE U A POWERFUL i5 GAMING RIG. Hope that helps.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS