Need Help Repairing Boot

I had Win98se in my C primary partition. Had W2k in my E extended logical
partition. Had second drive primary partitioned as D. Worked fine. Used
Partition Magic to delete c partition and then expanded E to use C space.
PC rebooted. Now have lost boot to E (was setup in Boot Magic). Have tried
lots of options, such as creating new C primary partition, but can't get E
drive to reboot. Even tried reloading Boot Magic onto C. Is there a way I
can get E to be bootable. If so what are the steps?

Thanks
Steve

Philo

"Cindy Arndt" <c.arndt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I had Win98se in my C primary partition. Had W2k in my E extended logical
> partition. Had second drive primary partitioned as D. Worked fine. Used
> Partition Magic to delete c partition and then expanded E to use C space.
> PC rebooted. Now have lost boot to E (was setup in Boot Magic). Have
tried
> lots of options, such as creating new C primary partition, but can't get E
> drive to reboot. Even tried reloading Boot Magic onto C. Is there a way
> can get E to be bootable. If so what are the steps?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

no matter where win2k was installed, the boot files were on your C:
drive...and to ever get win2k to boot again...it must remain on the E:
drive (and it must assigned the letter E:)

so use partition magic again to create both a C: drive and a D: drive
so that win2k will again be on E:

now...boot from your win2k cd and from the repair console

isssue the command: fixboot

Andy

On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:27:55 -0700, "Cindy Arndt" <c.arndt@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I had Win98se in my C primary partition. Had W2k in my E extended logical
>partition. Had second drive primary partitioned as D. Worked fine. Used
>Partition Magic to delete c partition and then expanded E to use C space.
>PC rebooted. Now have lost boot to E (was setup in Boot Magic). Have tried
>lots of options, such as creating new C primary partition, but can't get E
>drive to reboot. Even tried reloading Boot Magic onto C. Is there a way I
>can get E to be bootable. If so what are the steps?

One way that does not require a lot of thinking is:
a. install another copy of W2K on the C: partition.
b. add an entry in boot.ini to allow booting to W2K on E:.
c. after verifying that you can boot to E:, make that the default and
delete the entry for C: in boot.ini.
d. delete the W2K folders in C:.

>Thanks
>Steve

Thanks everyone for your help. Did the Recovery Console and FIXBOOT. Then
had to copy NTLDR, BOOT.INI, and NTDETECT.COM to the A drive, and then
modify BOOT.INI to load partition 2 on drive 0. And then booted and
everything work.

Still would like to move drive e (logical partition on drive 0 - two drive
system) to c: and make c: the W2K boot. Can this be done with Partition
Magic by coping/merging the E partition and the C partition and then using
drive mapping to re-reference the new drive designation? Or is there a
better/safer way of doing this?

Thanks
Steve