Question need help resetting password/security key for wifi repeater

Aug 10, 2019
I had to quickly change router password due to unknown devices and high data usage. I've successfully updated and connected my laptop, phones and ROKUs but can't access my repeaters.

Per the original setup instructions, I plugged in a repeater near the router, chose the repeater name as the network, but got "bad password" for both the previous repeater password and also the new router password. I had planned to sign in with the original repeater password to access the setup screen in order to change the network security key, but nope. So my understanding was that the original password would allow access to the repeater, while updating the security key allowed access to the router. ?

Any suggestions? They're only $16 each but would rather update than replace since they were working just fiine beforehand. I taught software in the 90s but my networking knowledge is seriously out of date and I don't care to spend hours trying to catch up. lol Thanks for any feedback! :)

Outside of recommending that you do a hardware reset to defaults (usually a button that you hold down for x-number of seconds), I'm afraid that we can't offer you anything more in terms of assistance on that count.

I presume that you are referring to the repeaters, and can't even offer a more precise suggestion since you haven't given information on what brands and models are involved.

Aug 10, 2019
Outside of recommending that you do a hardware reset to defaults (usually a button that you hold down for x-number of seconds), I'm afraid that we can't offer you anything more in terms of assistance on that count.

I presume that you are referring to the repeaters, and can't even offer a more precise suggestion since you haven't given information on what brands and models are involved.

Sorry, all info I've found online seems to treat repeaters and the setup isp as generic, so brand didn't seem to matter. They are both AMAKE WiFi Range Extender/Wireless Repeaters. Nothing but original setup info included, no website to access, no other owner info I can find. Oh, and no need to presume - was I not specific enough in the subject line and the text that I was referring to repeaters?

I can't tell you where the reset to factory defaults button is, since I don't know what model is involved, and it does seem as though AMAKE is your generic tip of the hat at providing repeater functions; nevertheless, it should be visible on the unit, and we can offer no more suggestion than that.

Your best bet is to search for a .pdf manual online, using the brand and model number (I originally pointed out the lack of both), and following the procedures therein, to factory reset the unit to defaults; or you can post the information here, and allow others to assist you in finding the proper documentation for your hardware.

Advising you on methods of circumventing the security features of the device would be outside of the acceptable use policy of Tom's Hardware.