Need help resolving problem.

archduke66

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
My motherboard is giving me serious grief over memory..

My system config is:

Pentium 4 3.2 HT
Gigabyte 81865GMK
1Gb dual channel ram (2*512)
250GB sata hitachi HDD..
Benq DVD writer
Antec true power 450
Evga 7800 GS (But the card died on me 2 days back)

My motherboard is not detecting the right memory size on post.. 1 gb ram is only shown as 256 mb, and since my gfx card died i have had to switch to the onboard hence I get around 224(32mb onboad) MB's.. I have tried changing slots but to no effect.. BIOS and windows are reporting only 256 mb ram while bench marking softwares detect 512 mb ram each on the occupied slots (everst, cpu-z)..

I have even checked for settings in the BIOS which might help resolve the problem but i found none.. On removing one ram the bios/windows still report 256 mb ram but single channel.. on adding it just reports dual channel but still 256 mb..

I am using win xp sp2 and award bios F6.

Any help regarding this will be apppreciated.
Thanks in advance..

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Tried switching bank locations? In example, if you have 4 banks A, B, C, and D and using memory in A-B or A-C configuration. What happens when we switch to C-D or B-D banks? Another example if you have 4 banks 1, 2, 3, 4 and using memory in 1-2 or 1-3 config, what happens when we switch to 3-4 or 2-4?

Could also try using Memtest86+ or Memtest and let it run for some time and see if it detects any errors.

archduke66

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Thanx for the speedy response..

I tried switching banks and used the same modules at my frnds place its working just fine. As extra precaution i got his memory modules and am using it now, but still i am facing the same problem..

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Burn an ISO of Memtest86+ / Memtest and let it run for a while see if it picks up any errors. Also, quick question, have you overclocked?

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Was almost thinking the same thing mike... swapped out his memory they worked fine, used another set and gets the same errors. Yep, sounds like its a mobo issue. But just to be on the safe side, I'd like to see if memtest generates any errors on its test.