Need help running Skyrim

fhdhs

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Okay, first and foremost, I don't know a lot about PC modding, so any advice relating to mods will require detailed instructions. I am familiar with Windows and hardware components though.

I bought Skyrim on Steam three days ago. I tried to run it on a Surface Pro 3 (Intel Core i5 ~ 1.9 gHz [2.9 gHz turbo speed] quad core w/ 4 GB RAM and Intel HD 4400 with 0 MB dedicated RAM). I could run it at 720p and medium detail with perfect responsiveness, but it crashed every half hour roughly. Changing settings didn't fix the problem.
After three crashes, I installed Skyrim on my Inspiron 3531 (Intel Pentium ~ 2.16 gHz dual core w/ 4 GB RAM and Intel 3DMark 11 GPU with 32 MB dedicated RAM). I had to run it at 800x600 resolution to eliminate lag and low framerate. It was more stable but froze once.

I tried to refund it but Steam would not accept the refund as Steam won't allow returns on games played over two hours. I played two hours & ten minutes.

My hopes are that you can offer me suggestions to improve my performance. If a refund is out of the question, to feel happy with my purchase, I wish to be able to run Skyrim at a minimum of a 720p solution with fewer crashes. Once again, I know little about modding so instructions will be needed if you recommend mods.
And before you condemn my PC for being a laptop / tablet with integrated GPU's, I'll have you know I can run Splinter Cell Conviction on the surface pro at 720p with perfect stability.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
Splinter Cell Conviction must have been well optimized or not very demanding. Skyrim is neither of those.

I tried all the FPS boosting mods possible have on my laptop with Intel HD graphics to play Skyrim and at the end it is really not worth it. You end up with an incredibly pixelated game which is simply not fun to play. If you are really interested in playing the game on PC I would suggest to save up for a desktop that can run it at decent graphic settings.

The one mod that made the most noticeable difference for me was Hialogoboost:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15123/?

It is likely your best bet. Google Skyrim FPS boosting mods and see what you can find. They will mostly be low resolution texture packs.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Splinter Cell Conviction must have been well optimized or not very demanding. Skyrim is neither of those.

I tried all the FPS boosting mods possible have on my laptop with Intel HD graphics to play Skyrim and at the end it is really not worth it. You end up with an incredibly pixelated game which is simply not fun to play. If you are really interested in playing the game on PC I would suggest to save up for a desktop that can run it at decent graphic settings.

The one mod that made the most noticeable difference for me was Hialogoboost:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15123/?

It is likely your best bet. Google Skyrim FPS boosting mods and see what you can find. They will mostly be low resolution texture packs.

Solution