Question Need help! Ryzen 3000 ram overclocking issues.

Nov 5, 2019
I recently got a gskill ripjaws 4000mhz cl18 8x2 kit, running a b350 with ryzen 3500. the kit is not on the motherboard qvl list, I can't see the manufacturer of my ram kit from taiphoon burner(read in a thread that it should be Samsung b-die) assuming that it is samsung b-die, I tried both "fast" and "safe" timings and voltages from dram calculator at 1800 fclk and 3600 (basically copied all settings) won't boot. Is there something wrong I'm doing, how should I go about overclocking my memory, I'm pretty new to overclocking memory.
https://ibb.co/XVqD74s

Last edited:
Well it won't be on the list as 3200mhz is max what that MoBo can do.....it 'aint going to work I fear.
Overclocking memory is voltage, timings and tricky, I would recommend sending the 4000mhz back and getting a 3200mhz kit then activate the setting docp in Bios. Do you use this PC for gaming or work?
This may help to get you started
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-overclocking-guide,4693.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Syceee
Nov 5, 2019
Well it won't be on the list as 3200mhz is max what that MoBo can do.....it 'aint going to work I fear.
Overclocking memory is voltage, timings and tricky, I would recommend sending the 4000mhz back and getting a 3200mhz kit then activate the setting docp in Bios. Do you use this PC for gaming or work?
This may help to get you started
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-overclocking-guide,4693.html
I use it mostly for gaming, and my mobo supports upto 4000 I think , as 4000 DOCP is working fine, also I'm able to get upto 4000 mhz manually too with 1.425v, but as I told its not on the mobo qvl so Docp not optimized well, only when I'm putting the timings and other settings from dram calculator, I'm not able to boot, even from the "safe" profile.I want to run 3600 and 1800 fclk,can it be because of the subtimings and other settings from dram calculator which may be causing this? I think 4000 cl18 kit should be able to do atleast 3600 cl16 right?should I only change the primary timings first, how much difference in performance does it make between only changing primary and changing both primary and other subtimings,is changing subtimings worth it for gaming? or rather how should I go about tightening timings in general.

Last edited:
I recently got a gskill ripjaws 4000mhz cl18 8x2 kit, running a b350 with ryzen 3500. the kit is not on the motherboard qvl list, I can't see the manufacturer of my ram kit from taiphoon burner(read in a thread that it should be Samsung b-die) assuming that it is samsung b-die, I tried both "fast" and "safe" timings and voltages from dram calculator at 1800 fclk and 3600 (basically copied all settings) won't boot. Is there something wrong I'm doing, how should I go about overclocking my memory, I'm pretty new to overclocking memory.

Pushing any B350 board to 4000 speed is not going to be easy, if do-able at all. Start slower, much slower. Like no more than 3200, then work up a bit at a time. My guess is you'll top out around 3400 or 3466.

Also, B-die RAM likes voltage and is quite comfortable being pushed up to 1.5V, but I'd never suggest going above 1.4 in daily use. If it won't boot, then try a higher voltage until it does. But that's just to see if it's capable, you'll want to stay at a clock speed that lets you run at or below that 1.4V limit.

Reactions: RodroX and Syceee
Nov 5, 2019
Pushing any B350 board to 4000 speed is not going to be easy, if do-able at all. Start slower, much slower. Like no more than 3200, then work up a bit at a time. My guess is you'll top out around 3400 or 3466.

Also, B-die RAM likes voltage and is quite comfortable being pushed up to 1.5V, but I'd never suggest going above 1.4 in daily use. If it won't boot, then try a higher voltage until it does. But that's just to see if it's capable, you'll want to stay at a clock speed that lets you run at or below that 1.4V limit.
But how is 4000 cl18 docp working for me think. Also I'm able to get 4000 manually too with 1.425v without timings though.the problem is when I'm putting dram calculator settings.basically I'm able to run 3600 but as soon as I change timing, can't boot, how to tighten timings then?

Last edited:
But how is 4000 cl18 docp working for me think. Also I'm able to get 4000 manually too with 1.425v without timings though.the problem is when I'm putting dram calculator settings.basically I'm able to run 3600 but as soon as I change timing, can't boot, how to tighten timings then?
If you are able to get 3600, I'd call it done. Going above that is getting close to actually decreasing performance due changing IF speed.

Just first make certain it's stable...that DRAM Calculator has a memtest feature to help with it. Test each to 200% on 'single', it takes a while but if it passes then you'll know you're good to go with confidence!

Oh yes...and try lowering voltages a step at a time until it either refuses to start or fails a memtest. Lowering volts help keep it around a bit longer but you can leave it there while you test for lowered timings.

Playing with timings is a time-intensive trial and error process. Start with just the primary timings, tCL, tRCDWR, tRCDRD, tRP, tTRAS, tRC...reduce this one notch at a time and try. tRC should always be equal to or greater than (tRAS + tRP). Also reduce tRFC, it can be change 10-20 at a time since it has a wide range.

Only consider it good if it passes a full-on memtest, 200% for each thread. If it fails a memtest, up the voltage a notch and try again. If it then passes you'll then have decisions to make.

That's really all I'd try and any benefit will be very hard to notice, probably not really worth the effort actually as leaving timing margin will save your bacon as components age. And the higher the voltage you run with, the sooner they'll age. Meaning stability problems will arise with time so you have to go back through this again.

Oh yeah...even if you use no other DRAM Calculator settings DO use the ProcODT (or alternates), setting. It's not a timing change and won't improve any performance, but getting that right has the greatest potential to assure reliable boots at elevated clocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Nov 5, 2019
Have been using 3600 16 19 16 16 37 for 2 days now, no issues at 1.425v,ia it worth it to change subtimings, also what's the lowest and stable TRAS, out of the box timings were DDR4-4000MHz CL18-22-22-42 1.35V

...worth it to change subtimings...

Probably not.

The lowest stable setting for any timing is entirely dependent on your CPU and memory quality. That's why they call it the silicon lottery...it's a gamble just what you'll get when you're pushing to extremes.

Also, operating for 2 days with no problems isn't a proof of stability, especially with memory. You need to run a proper memory stability test.

Reactions: Syceee and RodroX
I don't know if it will help you but I got my
G.skill trident z royal gold 3600 cl16
16 16 16 36 1.35v kit to be stable on my asus rog strix x470 f gaming with a 2600x
Docp 3600 freq 3600
With ryzen dram calculator 3600 fast
At 14 14 15 14 28 42 @ 1.45v
Proc 60 ohms
Rtt_nom disabled
Rtt_wr dynamic off
Rtt_park auto
And the 4 cad bus on auto.

Before doing the proc and rtt's it would run but would throw errors in rdc membench.
I made those above changes now it is stable running 8 hrs of asus realbench stress test, aida64 extreme, and almost 11hrs of Occt.
Good Luck

Nov 5, 2019
Can someone tell me why can't I lower the trcdwr from 19,most of the timings I have seen have TCL and trcd same. Also is 1.425 safe for long use?

Last edited:
I don't know if it will help you but I got my
G.skill trident z royal gold 3600 cl16
16 16 16 36 1.35v kit to be stable on my asus rog strix x470 f gaming with a 2600x
Docp 3600 freq 3600
With ryzen dram calculator 3600 fast
At 14 14 15 14 28 42 @ 1.45v
Proc 60 ohms
Rtt_nom disabled
Rtt_wr dynamic off
Rtt_park auto
And the 4 cad bus on auto.

Before doing the proc and rtt's it would run but would throw errors in rdc membench.
I made those above changes now it is stable running 8 hrs of asus realbench stress test, aida64 extreme, and almost 11hrs of Occt.
Good Luck

Did you also run Dram Calc's membench at those settings? I'd go out to 200% on single, all 16 threads. And make sure to hit the Maximum Memory button first to get all free memory, if you have 16Gb it should be around 14 Gb total or 29-30Gb for 32 Gb (I think) that gets tested. It will take a while, but Realbench and Aida's bench really exercise only a small amount of memory and don't exactly thrash it hard at that.

I used the rdc default which is 12000mb
Or 12gb of my 16 with all 12 threads.

Occt was large data set but i dont remember how much it was
Medium data set is about 3400 to 3600mb.

I did it out of curiosity as that ram is listed on my qvl for a 3000 series cpu for my mobo. I plan on getting a 3600x in the spring unless black friday has some cheaper prices then last months price for a 3600x at Micro Center which was $199.99.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
Can someone tell me why can't I lower the trcdwr from 19,most of the timings I have seen have TCL and trcd same. Also is 1.425 safe for long use?

You can't lower it because your DRAM and/or CPU MCU just can't handle that timing at that clock speed.

The maximum safe voltage spec for DDR4 DRAM is 1.5 V so 1.425 V should not harm it 'near term'. But that's a stress rating, operating at elevated voltage also can raise operating temperature and the two in combination will reduce life of any semiconductor device.

So life of your memory kit will be reduced inevitably, how much depends on how hot it's running in useage so look at temperature while in use and judge that way. Nobody can tell you any more specifically than that.

Since tech marches on, benchmark scores look pretty shabby in a couple years so most overclockers don't really care if it has a short service life anyway. They upgrade pretty often so they never see when their hardware starts to degrade and throw errors until they reduce clocks and voltages.

Lastly, some DRAM is much more tolerant of higher voltages, e.g., Samsung B-Die, so it depends on that too.

Last edited:

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
You probably arent doing anything wrong. B350 is a rather old platform and has notoriously been known for RAM compatibility issues and poor overclocking performance (at least when compared to something like b450 or x470). Im actually surprised that your B350 board even supports Ryzen 3000 CPU's at all. Ive read that 3200mhz may be achievable with SOME Ryzen processors on a b350 but 2666mhz seems to be the safest bet.

Not sure if this would be an option, but maybe consider upgrading to a b450 board? You will definitely be able to run 3200mhz and possibly higher. On my MSI tomahawk B450, I can run up to 3466mhz+ with a 2600X. so a Ryzen 3000 chip can most likely achieve an even higher frequency. An X470 would be even better if you are looking to achieve high memory overclocks (3600+), but I doubt you will be able to achieve anything close to 4000mhz on anything less than a new X570 board. Even then, its questionable depending on the quality of the board and the CPU.

Good luck.

Nov 5, 2019
You probably arent doing anything wrong. B350 is a rather old platform and has notoriously been known for RAM compatibility issues and poor overclocking performance (at least when compared to something like b450 or x470). Im actually surprised that your B350 board even supports Ryzen 3000 CPU's at all. Ive read that 3200mhz may be achievable with SOME Ryzen processors on a b350 but 2666mhz seems to be the safest bet.

Not sure if this would be an option, but maybe consider upgrading to a b450 board? You will definitely be able to run 3200mhz and possibly higher. On my MSI tomahawk B450, I can run up to 3466mhz+ with a 2600X. so a Ryzen 3000 chip can most likely achieve an even higher frequency. An X470 would be even better if you are looking to achieve high memory overclocks (3600+), but I doubt you will be able to achieve anything close to 4000mhz on anything less than a new X570 board. Even then, its questionable depending on the quality of the board and the CPU.

Good luck.
I'm running 3600 cl 16 stable somehow, 1800 fclk

Reactions: DUAL33s