Need help selecting a CPU with my new motherboard

Azwani

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2015
Hey guys,

Im not very familiar with cpus so I need some help buying a new one. Ive recently had some problems with my pc so I decided to upgrade. I currently have a 600w PSU, MSI 970 Gaming MB, 8gb of RAM, R7 260X GPU. Im looking for a CPU that will provide me with enough power to play a couple games like CS:GO in addition to be able to use programs like Photoshop and Adobe Premier. Any suggestions?

(I was looking at the AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core since my budget is $100)

Azwani

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2015

Will the CPU fit the socket fine? Also PCPartPicker said that "Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a bios update prior to using Vishera CPUs" What does that mean?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's just a standard warning they give out so you check to see if the CPU you are using is so new that the board would need a BIOS update to recognize it. In the case of the FX-6300 and the MSI 970 Gaming board, there's no worry. The FX-6300 was out before the board was made. You can see here on the CPU compatibility list for that board, that all the processors it supports use the first BIOS the board was sold with. http://us.msi.com/support/mb/970-GAMING.html#support-cpu

Azwani

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2015

Thanks so much I just picked one up at Frys a few min ago, since i replace the CPU and MoBo do i need a fresh install of windows? I was using Win 10

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I thought you said you already had the MSI 970 Gaming board? If you had Win10 installed on another board, it may be best to do a clean install. But if the old and new boards are very similar, you may be able to boot to Win desktop and then install the new drivers. Run CCleaner afterwards to clean up the mess that the Registry might be in.

Azwani

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2015

I had the board installed already I meant that I bought the AMD FX-6300 CPU. Last night I installed all of my othe components and it booted up Win 10!! Thanks so much you've been a great help.

TRENDING THREADS