[SOLVED] Need help selecting a MB with USB 3.1 Type-C connection.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
As the title states, I'm in the market for a motherboard. I bought a Lian-Li Lancool II case that comes with the option of a Type-C sockect next the the USB/Power/Audio/etc ports on top of the case. I'm currently using an ASRock B450M/ac and, unless I'm missing something, it does not have a Type-C connection.

Rest of my system:
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 32GB (2x16) G.Skill F4-3200C16-16GVK
  • MSI OC Ventus 8GB RTX 2070 Super
  • Intel 660p M.2 2TB
  • Seasonic Focus 650W Gold
I'd like to keep the costs down and stay in the mATX realm if possible. The issue I'm having is I'm unable to identify the Type-C connections on any of the boards I view on Amazon/Newegg. So, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks! :)

Solution
I didn't pay attention to your MoBo. Yes, PCIe USB card (that you found) would be better solution, because you can still use standard USB3.0 connectors on front panel, plus USB-C. You still need a header adapter for USB-C cable, though.
you probably need usb c header adapter:
Motherboard_USB_3.0_Header_to_New_USB_3.1_Front_Panel_Header_Converter_%281%29__12087_zoom.jpg

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
It appears that the ASRock B450M/ac only has one USB 3.x connection. If I were to use this adapter, I wouldn't have a place to plug in the cable leading from the front panel USB 3.0 (or am I mistaken). If I am not mistaken, my original question stands. I need a board that can accommodate, I guess, two connections. I'll do some digging around, but if anyone can pitch in, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
I didn't pay attention to your MoBo. Yes, PCIe USB card (that you found) would be better solution, because you can still use standard USB3.0 connectors on front panel, plus USB-C. You still need a header adapter for USB-C cable, though.

I imagine I'll need an extension cable to reach the card as well if I'm going to route it behind the MB in any sense. Thanks for your help.

Yes, front panel cables are usually darn short (they save every cent they can).
If possible, I try to avoid extension cables, because there can be troubles (bad contact, or whatever) and it can be difficult to find the reason.
From your photo, front USB-C connector is actually standalone (not integrated into panel). So, I would probably try to find similar connector which would have longer cable -just sharing my thoughts :)

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Yes, front panel cables are usually darn short (they save every cent they can).
If possible, I try to avoid extension cables, because there can be troubles (bad contact, or whatever) and it can be difficult to find the reason.
From your photo, front USB-C connector is actually standalone (not integrated into panel). So, I would probably try to find similar connector which would have longer cable -just sharing my thoughts :)

Yeah, the problem with sourcing another Type-C cable is that it is a custom option for the Lian-Li Lancool II. It actually has to be installed in the same module that holds the other I/Os and is of a specific design to do just that. Maybe the original cable is long enough to route to the back if I take it out of the bundle they put it in. I'll have to sit and think on this one.

Do boards exist that have two USB 3.x connection points? I mean, that would solve things. Probably expensive if it exists, though.

Yes, most full ATX sized boards have two USB 3.x headers. I have MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max, which does have two headers:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX/Gallery

However, if you're ready to pay a bit more, you should consider some of the recent B550 MSI motherboards, for example:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS/Gallery
-which, beside standard USB 3.x header, also has USB-C header onboard (and you won't need adapter).
Or, if you prefer micro-ATX:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550M-MORTAR/Gallery

Above I recommended MSI simply because most of MSI B550 boards do have USB-C header, where many other brands don't have it.
Anyway, I can really recommend X470 Gaming Plus Max (also having 3700X CPU) -not only because it's cheap:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1J_L5qeIY

TRENDING THREADS