Need help selecting a new motherboard for an old system as mine broke on the 17th sept 2013.

Jmrf

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
So i got an ok system a few years ago, it has been running fine, nothing too fancy i think, i dont know haha, but yesterday my motherboard just went bad, anyway im looking to get another board but i dont think i want to use the same board, i dont plan to upgrade my entire system as i cant really afford it at the moment, here is a list of my hardware. My price range for the board is around $100-$200

Intel® Desktop Board DP55WB

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor

12GB of RAM DDR3 2x4GB 2x2GB

650W PSU

500GB HDD

If i missed out anything important please let me know, also i was thinking of maybe getting an Asus or Gigabyte board and maybe you could reccommend a better graphics card, not important atm but some suggestions would be nice. Also i'm new to this site so if i have posted in the wrong section or something else please dont flame me. Thanks for your Help

Solution

bliq

Distinguished

I guess first question is are you sure it's the motherboard that's gone bad? How did you narrow it down to that? Just want to make sure you're sure you're replacing the part that's actually broken.

If so, then just buy a new P55 LGA 1156 motherboard. What's wrong with buying the same one you already have? upside is no need to reinstall OS. Are you looking for different features?

(ps. I have a MSI P55-GD65 on my desk I haven't gotten around to posting for sale. Less than your $100 budget... )

Wolfshadw

Titan
Do you have a Windows OS for installation? If so, you should be able to get any socket 1156 board and come activation time, explain to Microsoft that your previous motherboard died. Otherwise, if you do not have the OS install disk, I'd probably opt for the same motherboard (if you can find it).

-Wolf sends

Jmrf

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Well my Ram and graphics card were tested on another system and they all worked fine and yesterday there was a storm here and had a black out after that when power came back i just got a black screen and well the Ram Slots have stopped working i tested the ram chips individually on another system and all worked fine, i also tested the PSU and graphics card on another system.

oh and as for new features, i was thinking of maybe getting a better graphics card eventually, but this board only has one slot, and ive read on the forums here that the good cards usually use two slots, not sure how true that is.

Solution