Need help selecting CNC engraver controller to run GRBL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2022
This topic might be a little unfamiliar to many of you, that's why it's interesting! So I bought one of these Chinese 3018 PRO MAX engravers (12"x7.2" active area) because I wanted to use it to mill out some prototype printed circuit boards (something for which they are eminently suited BTW). Now the fly in the ointment was I wanted to put it out in the garage, so I needed it to be able to run over Wi-Fi. Now these little control boards that run the stepper motors are actually a flavor of Arduino and they run a program called GRBL on the internal AVR chip which is currently in release 1.1. Now it turns out that one of the PC-based programs that connects directly to GRBL is known as LaserGRBL, and it DOES offer two flavors of Wi-Fi communication with the engraver (Webserver and Telnet), but in order to use it you have to get at least some minimal variety of ESP8266-based board such as ESP-01, and follow LaserGRBL's instructions bringing it up also under its Arduino and flashing the appropriate code in. And what it does is kind of cute, it sets up as an "ad-hoc" network locally at a specific URL until you configure it, then you configure LaserGRBL for the configured address, and everything's supposed to be fine.

And it wasn't, that's why I'm posting. I was able to talk to the controller wired OK over USB-serial at a high baud rate (115200 baud). I was also able to properly build the Webserver program, flash it and configure it, but when I went to connect LaserGRBL to it it would see it but it would just time out after 10 seconds. Then I went to all the trouble of building the Telnet version and I had exactly the same problem! Now the LaserGRBL software of course also has access to the Arduino flash capability, so they thoughtfully included the ability to "re-flash" GRBL 1.1H into the AVR controller, so I did THAT in case it was somehow defective, but it resulted in no change in symptoms whatever.

So that's where I'm "stuck", I need to know how I'm supposed to evaluate and select a GRBL controller board for its ability to be used over Wi-Fi, because it appears that the one I have just isn't "high quality enough" for this service. Does anyone know if there's a credible reviewer who I can trust to make quality assessments of this equipment? (There USED to be wireless USB hubs that ran over Wi-Fi but I guess there wasn't much of a market, and it's not like I don't have an ANSWER for this, it's just that the equipment has to be able to take it.) Thank you in advance for your assistance!

kanewolf

Titan
This topic might be a little unfamiliar to many of you, that's why it's interesting! So I bought one of these Chinese 3018 PRO MAX engravers (12"x7.2" active area) because I wanted to use it to mill out some prototype printed circuit boards (something for which they are eminently suited BTW). Now the fly in the ointment was I wanted to put it out in the garage, so I needed it to be able to run over Wi-Fi. Now these little control boards that run the stepper motors are actually a flavor of Arduino and they run a program called GRBL on the internal AVR chip which is currently in release 1.1. Now it turns out that one of the PC-based programs that connects directly to GRBL is known as LaserGRBL, and it DOES offer two flavors of Wi-Fi communication with the engraver (Webserver and Telnet), but in order to use it you have to get at least some minimal variety of ESP8266-based board such as ESP-01, and follow LaserGRBL's instructions bringing it up also under its Arduino and flashing the appropriate code in. And what it does is kind of cute, it sets up as an "ad-hoc" network locally at a specific URL until you configure it, then you configure LaserGRBL for the configured address, and everything's supposed to be fine.

And it wasn't, that's why I'm posting. I was able to talk to the controller wired OK over USB-serial at a high baud rate (115200 baud). I was also able to properly build the Webserver program, flash it and configure it, but when I went to connect LaserGRBL to it it would see it but it would just time out after 10 seconds. Then I went to all the trouble of building the Telnet version and I had exactly the same problem! Now the LaserGRBL software of course also has access to the Arduino flash capability, so they thoughtfully included the ability to "re-flash" GRBL 1.1H into the AVR controller, so I did THAT in case it was somehow defective, but it resulted in no change in symptoms whatever.

So that's where I'm "stuck", I need to know how I'm supposed to evaluate and select a GRBL controller board for its ability to be used over Wi-Fi, because it appears that the one I have just isn't "high quality enough" for this service. Does anyone know if there's a credible reviewer who I can trust to make quality assessments of this equipment? (There USED to be wireless USB hubs that ran over Wi-Fi but I guess there wasn't much of a market, and it's not like I don't have an ANSWER for this, it's just that the equipment has to be able to take it.) Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Are there wired ethernet options that would be easier. You could use an external WIFI bridge to convert.

Mar 2, 2022
"Easier" to do what?? The machine is "native" USB with a serial UART "core", (it's a CH340 I think). Do you want to "throw away" ANOTHER PC (are you thinking maybe a Raspberry?) to get from USB to wired ethernet? In order to keep the speed up It would have to know something about USB AND enough about the engraving "business" to chop the record into g-code bits. I'm not especially looking for the most "blue sky" answer, I have circuit boards that need to be milled NOW, do you have an answer for that without reinventing the wheel here?

kanewolf

Titan
"Easier" to do what?? The machine is "native" USB with a serial UART "core", (it's a CH340 I think). Do you want to "throw away" ANOTHER PC (are you thinking maybe a Raspberry?) to get from USB to wired ethernet? In order to keep the speed up It would have to know something about USB AND enough about the engraving "business" to chop the record into g-code bits. I'm not especially looking for the most "blue sky" answer, I have circuit boards that need to be milled NOW, do you have an answer for that without reinventing the wheel here?
My question was, are there more options for interface boards if you use an ethernet cable on that board? Old Asus routers make excellent, cheap, WIFI bridges. I was just trying to see if WIFI was a limiting factor in your selection criteria. There are ways around it.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @kanewolf here.

I also recommend a wired connection if at possible.

Wired is inherently faster and less problematic.

Setting that aside for the moment....

= = = =

This:

"I need to know how I'm supposed to evaluate and select a GRBL controller board for its ability to be used over Wi-Fi, because it appears that the one I have just isn't "high quality enough" for this service. "

My interim answer: "Don't".

Also:

"Now the fly in the ointment was I wanted to put it out in the garage, so I needed it to be able to run over Wi-Fi. "

If you need to get the circuit boards milled "NOW" then set up a configuration that works via USB as I understand your post.

Move the controlling PC to the garage if necessary.

Once the job is completed then you can focus on establishing a reliable faster connection - of any sort.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Mar 2, 2022
Gee and all this time I thought "Tom's Hardware" was about helping me find hardware that allows me to use all the fanciest options, and the brands and models which support those options. You folks aren't about that at all!!

Mar 2, 2022
I did ask for your help, but I tried to "channel" it so it could actually be of benefit to me. Apparently it's your way or the highway. If you're going to be this narrow-minded about things who cares what you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS