tburke89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
So, I am building a home network and have encountered more difficulties than I had planned for. I wanted to have a router dedicated to the computers and phones where there is sensitive data (router A) and a separate network for all of the IoT devices (router B) that we have in the house. I purchased a second router to add behind the router I already have and set it in access point mode. The immediate effect of this was that the computers connected directly to router A were all downgrades to 802.11n from 802.11ac since the AP was only 802.11n. I have a 32 port gigabit switch connected to router A that connects to my home office, and a 5 port gigabit switch coming from router B that I presently have a Hue hub in.

Both networks have DHCP enabled though I have yet to make it so router A leases 192.168.1-149 and router B leases 192.168.150-249, or something similar. I feel as if I have completely failed at everything that I set out to do. If the security was compromised of one of the devices on router B I do not see how that would NOT then also gain access to my primary home network - which I hardly consider segmented or isolated from router A. I would like to also be able to connect directly to Router A from my WiFi-5 devices so that they do not have to drop down from wireless ac to wireless n.

And what I wanted to do was have the modem go to router A and to router B without having to put one behind the other. I know this would require a second IP address and I have had no luck in addressing that with Comcast Xfinity who had no idea what I was talking about when I called and asked for a second IP address. Another objective of mine was to increase the total number of devices that my network could serve and be stable. However since at the end of the day everything routes through Router A before coming in or out of my network I do not see how it is possible that I improved throughput by daisy chaining another router behind it. I have a Netgear WNDR4300 as my AP and an ASUS AC87R as my primary router.

Solution
So, I am building a home network and have encountered more difficulties than I had planned for. I wanted to have a router dedicated to the computers and phones where there is sensitive data (router A) and a separate network for all of the IoT devices (router B) that we have in the house. I purchased a second router to add behind the router I already have and set it in access point mode. The immediate effect of this was that the computers connected directly to router A were all downgrades to 802.11n from 802.11ac since the AP was only 802.11n. I have a 32 port gigabit switch connected to router A that connects to my home office, and a 5 port gigabit switch coming from router B that I presently have a Hue hub in.

Both networks have...

kanewolf

Titan

Both networks have DHCP enabled though I have yet to make it so router A leases 192.168.1-149 and router B leases 192.168.150-249, or something similar. I feel as if I have completely failed at everything that I set out to do. If the security was compromised of one of the devices on router B I do not see how that would NOT then also gain access to my primary home network - which I hardly consider segmented or isolated from router A. I would like to also be able to connect directly to Router A from my WiFi-5 devices so that they do not have to drop down from wireless ac to wireless n.

And what I wanted to do was have the modem go to router A and to router B without having to put one behind the other. I know this would require a second IP address and I have had no luck in addressing that with Comcast Xfinity who had no idea what I was talking about when I called and asked for a second IP address. Another objective of mine was to increase the total number of devices that my network could serve and be stable. However since at the end of the day everything routes through Router A before coming in or out of my network I do not see how it is possible that I improved throughput by daisy chaining another router behind it. I have a Netgear WNDR4300 as my AP and an ASUS AC87R as my primary router.
You can't have "router B" in AP mode to isolate devices connected to it.
To protect your sensitive data, you need to have your IOT devices connected to the router connected to the ISP. THEN you connect the WAN port of a second router to the first. Anything connected to the second router would be protected from the IOT. Anything on the WAN port of the second router is treated like "the internet" and therefore has firewall and NAT protection.

Reactions: tburke89
Solution