[SOLVED] Need help setting up RAID 01 in a windows machine.

Nov 23, 2020
Circumstances: Windows already installed on M.2 Drive. Want to create a new RAID01 set-up with two 4TD HDDs. Setup in the BIOS is completed successfully.

Hardware: Aorus X570 Wifi Elite, Ryzen 5 3600, WD500GB NVME, 2 4TB WDHDDs, 1TB WDSSD, Sapphire 5600x, Some Ram a PSU.

Issues: Windows 10 will not recognize my mechanical hard drive RAID01 set-up or my previously installed 1T SSD since switching to RAID config in BIOS. I believe I need drivers to support the new setup being that its my first time with this system but I do not know how to apply them.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

Iv downloaded the driver and ran the executable from this link without success. I'm a relative novice--help is appreciated.

Update: Driver under the device manage named RAID Controller has yellow exclamation point, and a question mark. Will not auto update.

Last edited:
Solution
Gotcha, so the RAID 1 set-up would be beneficial to a small server perhaps? I think I have misunderstood the purpose of the RAID.
It would be good for a webserver running a store, where downtime = lost sales.
And any RAID 1 still needs a real backup to protect the actual data.

If you don't need true 24/7 uninterrupted ops, you don't need a RAID 1.

And trust me, you are by far not the only one to make that mistake. Probably not the only one today...:)

For actual backups, I use Macrium Reflect. Backs up all my house systems to my QNAP NAS, but could just as easily be to an external drive or two.

Nov 23, 2020
RAID01?
Please elucidate.

Either RAID 1, or RAID 0, or RAID 0+1 (which required 4 physical drives)

Why this RAID array?
And what will your overall backup routine be?

RAID 1 for the purpose of backing up critical data. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "overall backup routine".

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 1 for the purpose of backing up critical data. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "overall backup routine".
Right....

RAID 1 is not a backup.
It is for continued uptime, in the event of physical drive fail. It does little for actual data security. A deleted file, ransomware, accidental formatting....all gone.

Physical drive fail is pretty far down the list of ways to lose your data.

Nov 23, 2020
Right....

RAID 1 is not a backup.
It is for continued uptime, in the event of physical drive fail. It does little for actual data security. A deleted file, ransomware, accidental formatting....all gone.

Physical drive fail is pretty far down the list of ways to lose your data.

Gotcha, so the RAID 1 set-up would be beneficial to a small server perhaps? I think I have misunderstood the purpose of the RAID.

USAFRet

Titan
It would be good for a webserver running a store, where downtime = lost sales.
And any RAID 1 still needs a real backup to protect the actual data.

If you don't need true 24/7 uninterrupted ops, you don't need a RAID 1.

And trust me, you are by far not the only one to make that mistake. Probably not the only one today...:)

For actual backups, I use Macrium Reflect. Backs up all my house systems to my QNAP NAS, but could just as easily be to an external drive or two.

Reactions: Jack John
Solution