Need Help Soon - Need to select a MB

dpm87

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I need some immediate advice on purchasing a new mother board.

I ordered my parts for my build and when the parts got here, I realized that I mistakenly ordered the wrong CPU. I can no longer return it and “I think” my best option is to return the motherboard and buy a 1366 socket mother board. Here is my setup, what do you recommend or what motherboard might you recommend. Please help, thank you.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 (Should return?)
Video Card: VGA EVGA 9800GTX+ 512-P3-N871-AR
PS: Antec 500w
CPU: i7- 930 (Mistake)
RAM: G.Skill 4gbX2 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

I want to make sure that the new mother board is not a more than $250. I also need it to work with the ram that I currently have and I don't need to run more than one video card. So can someone recommend a better idea or a good 1366 motherboard? THANK YOU!

Solution
^ That EVGA is no doubt a good one, but with the added features, Gigabyte is a better buy IMO...
But if you dont mind not having USB3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, then that EVGA is fine...

dpm87

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Thank you for the fast reply. I thought about just trying to sell the CPU but I know the most that I can get off eBay at the moment is $230 ish. So I thought I could just spend that $70 price cut in a mother board. My biggest concern is the memory working with the motherboard. I think no matter what way I go, its not a good idea. Stupid me put myself in a bad position. Thanks for the help.

dpm87

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

dpm87

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
USB 3.0 is not the biggest deal to me but on the other hand SATA 6GB/s is something that I would like. My only concern with the Gigabyte board has to do with it's customer reviews. A good deal of people seem to have problems with the board. I am split between the good reviews and cheap price of the EVGA board and the better features with the Gigabyte board.

I guess as long as both boards support my (2x4GB DDR3 1333 1.5v) memory I can't go wrong with either. Again, thank you for your help and opinions.