Question Need help: Sudden throttle on both CPU and GPU

Feb 19, 2023
I just built this system and I'm having an issue.
CPU and the GPU works fine under load for a good amount of time (game or stress test does not matter) and then suddenly power usage drops dramatically, even while temps are being stable until then

Ive run two tests, one with MS Flight Simulator, ultra settings all maxed out and second with furmark burn-in test to load the GPU + CPU-Z stress test to load the CPU. After 1.5 to 2 hour while CPU is being around 95celsius(junction) and the GPU being around 65celsius - 91(junction) suddenly system starts to stutter, with no sign of classic thermal throttle effects. Also system reboots it self if it does not recover in about 2 to 3 minutes and for some reason when it does reboot while booting (first 2 second) green artifacts occurs. Yes artifacts mostly mean overheating component - as far as i know - but sensors are saying ok

On msfim ive captured those images right after stuttering, suddenly fps drops to one digit numbers;
IMG-20230220-010738.jpg
IMG-20230220-010740.jpg

Same story on GPU furmark+CPU cpu-z synthetic load, first two hour is fine then dramatic fps/point drop, numbers are on the floor. System reboots if it does not recover after some period of time (around 2 min)

Specs
  • Gigabyte b650m ds3h - latest bios version f4
  • Ryzen 7 7700x CPU
  • Rx 6800xt GPU
  • 32gb 5200mhz dd5 16x2 kit RAM
  • 1tb corsair np600 SSD
  • Corsair cx750f 80+ bronze PSU
  • Deepcool gammax l240 aio cooler
  • Windows 10 22h2
Things to know
  • Mobo might be refurbished, package was not sealed and i got 'new CPU installed' error on first boot
  • tried same tests with no peripheral connected
  • clean installion of windows is used on each test
  • unplugged all case fans and their rgb headers, removed side panels
  • 7700x has igpu, so did the same tests and same results except green artifacts as system just shutdowns
  • PSU and GPU has coil whine issue
  • I've never built PC before but idk if was straight forward. Aio pump is connected to cpufan header, radiator fans are connected to 1/2 sysfan headers, USB, drive activity, power and audio front cables are connected to their respective headers
Any help? I feel stuck and in really awkward position

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Gigabyte b650m ds3h - latest bios version f4
Did you try clearing the CMOS? I'm assuming the board came with that BIOS installed? If you updated the BIOS to the latest, you should clear the CMOS.

Mobo might be refurbished, package was not sealed and i got 'new CPU installed' error on first boot
I'd inspect the socket pins for a start. I'd also return the unit and maybe contact seller to parse on a brand new sealed motherboard.

PSU and GPU has coil whine issue
I'd have chosen a higher pedigree PSU for a build like that as the GPU you've got can draw more power than it's stated to.

Feb 19, 2023
im literally crying and laughing rn, so as you said i checked the pins and reset the cmos but same stuff - even more funnier this time.

i was playing ets2, gamepad was connected and suddenly while temps being ok same stuff started.
its really wierd man i dont even know how to describe like my keyboard was not functioning, game was 5fps but it was still able to response my mouse/gamepad inputs. instantly.
funny thing, OCCT was not installed so i got the download link via Whatsapp message because i was not able to use the keyboard, im not fimilar with it but i checked the temps etc but did not detect anything unusual

i also started recording when issue started, apart from video quality being 360p sounds, framerates all are fine. im speechless. i feel relieved and scaried at the same time because if sounds and frames are fine in video record it must be some kind of driver issue that affecting user input/output right? thats even more terrible because idk how to fix it. all i did was install clean windows, icue for my headset, steelseries engine for mice and gigabyte control center nothing more games are installed in my second drive

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Gigabyte b650m ds3h - latest bios version f4
Did you try clearing the CMOS? I'm assuming the board came with that BIOS installed? If you updated the BIOS to the latest, you should clear the CMOS.

Mobo might be refurbished, package was not sealed and i got 'new CPU installed' error on first boot
I'd inspect the socket pins for a start. I'd also return the unit and maybe contact seller to parse on a brand new sealed motherboard.

PSU and GPU has coil whine issue
I'd have chosen a higher pedigree PSU for a build like that as the GPU you've got can draw more power than it's stated to.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023
all images are captured while "stuttering" takes place

on this image cpu load is reported as +90% but in reality its impossible nothing is working on background:
https://ibb.co/M1GRFwH

cpu usage is reported as %100 @ 5.5ghz but power is insufficient, stuttering takes place
https://ibb.co/3TXZQq5

Seems like Mobo issue i have no option left will try to refund

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023
Changed motherboard, still the same. But for some stupid reason when i clear CMOS, system becomes 'somewhat more stable', instead of crashing in every 5 to 30 min, it manages work normally as long as 4 hour. And after that 'period' crashes in every 5 - 30 min until another CMOS reset.

Currently running memtest86, depending on result will replace ram or psu. Maybe both idk.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023
Well truns out out of the box bios settings for amd 7000 series is not stable, tested with two motherboards from different vendors and both of them was not stable.
Set power limit to 120w and no more crashes, stutters. System is far more stable and even faster.

Hope this thread helps to someone, thank you

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

I don't think this definitely indicates that the board is refurbished. I am sure I got a brand new board at a local Micro Center, the same Gigabyte B650M ds3h and I remember seeing similar message when I powered it on for the first time. Then I had several unstable events and thought of returning it (even sent email to Gigabyte customer service). Somehow, after updating Windows and BIOS, my new system gradually became stabilized(not in one shot). Since I am no longer up to date of the latest hardware, I cannot pinpoint a specific suspect, but it doesn't sound like a motherboard issue. I would try more powerful PSU. 6800XT might require more juice. My system has 850 Gold Plus PSU and 6700 XT and runs without any issue currently. Other than that, it is very similar to your build.

My issues (ALL RESOLVED) : stuttering, turn off/on itself, no video signal, fan running full-power all the time, coil whining, etc...and one fatality : 500 GB Seagate SDD+HDD hybrid died on me. Probably it ran its life...about 7-8 years old. Not sure if related to the unstable system condition, though.

My system
  • Gigabyte b650m ds3h - latest bios version f4 --> initially F2 --> updated to F4h --> then F4
  • Ryzen 7 7700x CPU --> same
  • Rx 6800xt GPU --> XFX - speedster swft309 RX 6700 XT 3 fans / 2 x 6 pins
  • 32gb 5200mhz dd5 16x2 kit RAM --> g. skill flare x5 32gb ddr5-6000 EXPO OC'd to 6000 MHz
  • 1tb corsair np600 SSD --> Crucial - P3 Plus 500GB SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe + 2 Samsung SSDs + 1 HGST HDD
  • Corsair cx750f 80+ bronze PSU --> EVGA Supernova GL2 80+ Gold
  • Deepcool gammax l240 aio cooler --> Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE Twin Tower
  • Windows 10 22h2 --> Windows 11 22h2

Feb 19, 2023
Much thanks for your answer

Ive tried without GPU installed and it was same, so PSU can't be the issue (although might cause an issue of it's own but currently everything seems to be ok)

Couple of days ago, I've saw a post on Reddit about same issue and one user wrote that setting infinity fabric divider to 1733mhz solved his/her issue, and yup it was same for me. Initially i tough it was ram related issue so i got expo certificated Kingston branded kit but 2000mhz fclck was no good. Also discovered running with 1800mhz is fine. But 2k and above is no good zone.
Also latest bios update from gigabyte sets fclck to 1800mhz after update but it's not default option so i still not sure what is the exact issue, i would say defected CPU but idk

That boils down to question, does 2k vs 1800mhz fclck has difference, well could not detect any, raw CPU and gaming performance is same for me. Memory latency is on par with other benchmarks.

And since I've tried with different mobo from different mobo issue can't be it

Thanks