Question Need help/suggestions to fix how my home is wired to get wired ethernet...

Aug 24, 2019
So - I bought a new house a couple of years ago - it's a brand new construction.

The house has coax and ethernet (cat5e terminated in RJ11) in most rooms.

I also have AT&T gigapower (fiber) - when they did the install, they took one of the terminated RJ11 lines, and re-terminated it in RJ45 and that runs to the AT&T modem - so now there's internet in that one room. I've setup that box to bypass its router functionality and it goes to a router I control - which gives my house wireless and wired connections for that one room.

I'd like to get to a point where I can re-terminate the rest of the RJ11 lines as RJ45 (since they're all CAT5e) - but the lines for the rest of the rooms (both Coax and CAT5e) are dangling out side the side of my house, disconnected, except for the one that AT&T rigged up.

So I'm struggling with how I fix the issue of getting those remaining lines all rigged up given the current setup.

My current thought is to use the existing coax lines and do a MoCA setup where I have a line run out from the router, go to a Actiontec ethernet to coax converter, then have that go to the coax line in the same room, then outside rig that line to the input of a splitter, then have the other coax lines terminated and connected to the splitter as the output, then go connect Actiontec ethernet to coax converters at any of the coax areas I need and running the ethernet at those to a switch. I think this solves the problem of getting ethernet into the rest of the house, but it doesn't use the CAT5e that's already run... maybe that doesn't matter if this works? Any one see any big issues or have any other suggestions?

kanewolf

Titan
You need to get the ATT input to where ALL the cables come to a common point. If you know where that is, then use the MoCA to get the ethernet from your router to the common area. Feed that signal to an ethernet switch. Then use the cat5e cabling to distribute the network to the other rooms.

CAT5e cables are routinely used to wire phone lines and does not automatically mean u can use it for networking. U should open one of the RJ11 and verify you have an INTACT CAT5e cable with 4 pairs of wires, THEN u can start to re-jack them for RJ45 and networking.

Aug 24, 2019
You need to get the ATT input to where ALL the cables come to a common point. If you know where that is, then use the MoCA to get the ethernet from your router to the common area. Feed that signal to an ethernet switch. Then use the cat5e cabling to distribute the network to the other rooms.

This makes sense. But I'm thinking I'd need to go:
Modem [indoors] -> router [indoor] -> MOCA ethernet to coax [indoor] -> Coax to Ethernet [Outdoor] -> outdoor switch [Outdoor] - then have the other outdoor CAT5e lines come into the same switch to bridge internet across all the ports, right?

My only concern is power outside. Maybe there's a way to make this work with POE? Any suggestions on hardware to do the outdoor coax to ethernet conversion and an outdoor switch?

Aug 24, 2019
CAT5e cables are routinely used to wire phone lines and does not automatically mean u can use it for networking. U should open one of the RJ11 and verify you have an INTACT CAT5e cable with 4 pairs of wires, THEN u can start to re-jack them for RJ45 and networking.

I think I'm safe... but I'd appreciate another set of eyes:
LCsgSNgv4I2cWH28_9O4AtyAh0cpAOufBQNlj1pMfldoOY9BFxMzNBmEKp_a3B8fUsFXID-wvHpz7jE2_TtFAl2g0w-xjJWu-smwJ7Jo0jrTsxB_Zdb7gTml1jXEeuxh8njkppR8Z1CsixKlfm-fL-JVz8Opof4rdHtbroIiHnkXV0lj-Z2RRz-r6d5J11sGiCdwSCIKFHA9OlY-0KT68KFWrJW409IuBwoDTdhqxPf-NoZyyPfelOgJCkY4gQa6fv26YOLaq2U2y8z_5H6JbMxcXg-RkiREbbjfpQI99SYXyp4L3RHaDmC5kQxsTVPt_GyarHxM8FLAW3Wzw-Fh0Smliho28Y66VhNFdylCuG_0s1mKjAKtONHCT5KGkBxg4UrvtnBS2Gij0yOMxSLbcsul7xI7cMsZfQqMZWmL0Q19FGX6AI_szcel9RM7oc9sKAt17MQ4YjAKhCnm3cp6zAlK44z3dMtdVXcO7qRCOw4atyeOZ6ksuth1jw2obChpebYNiaC_wAI6xiwjguM8F1p2DMcXOztZYvX9O6y7VLC0D-3S-JmM8BXYf6mUJ4lMa1v-HQ8ABhVChEL21eMf_KQcG6A7Lfw8Uwgzv_hs0QX2Eq4wgAZEjMwzW0tm-Qy_TxhKk43nZyUKBL7sYfXliKNF4xaatV6RDzbZAyleHqQXkwbBdhF8R60mcNPwzeaCI6YuVKS_Woshmbo5410yQq9mEA=w1278-h1704-no

kanewolf

Titan
This makes sense. But I'm thinking I'd need to go:
Modem [indoors] -> router [indoor] -> MOCA ethernet to coax [indoor] -> Coax to Ethernet [Outdoor] -> outdoor switch [Outdoor] - then have the other outdoor CAT5e lines come into the same switch to bridge internet across all the ports, right?

My only concern is power outside. Maybe there's a way to make this work with POE? Any suggestions on hardware to do the outdoor coax to ethernet conversion and an outdoor switch?
So the only place that the ethernet cabling comes together is outside?

Aug 24, 2019
I added a roughed out networking diagram here: https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view/4da036a4-512d-1735-82af-2f2b0a00093e/0_0

However, I think this may still not work or might be overkill. The ethernet drops aren't in every room. I'm also not sure how I'd get power to the switch or MoCA device outside...

I'm thinking of maybe removing the ethernet stuff from the equation and just using the MoCA devices... anyone see an issue with this? Then I can just use the splitter outside...

Aug 24, 2019
I personally would just go with a few outdoor PoE switches and re-ending your Cat5e to RJ-45.

Unifi has a 4 and 5 port OutDoor PoE switch at a reasonable price. You can use a few of your Cat5e lines to place Power to the switches, or run a few more for that purpose.

https://store.ui.com/products/usw-flex
https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/nanoswitch

So - the only problem is that while I could get the outdoor switch with PoE - since coax is going to be the thing that feeds that internet (because I need to get the internet from inside the house to outside) - I'm not sure how I'd get power to the switch (could the power be supplied from any ethernet connection to the switch, or does it have to be the uplink?) - I'd also would need to power the MoCA device to convert coax back into ethernet outside (Does anyone know of a outdoor MoCA coax to ethernet converter?)

Aug 24, 2019
I added a roughed out networking diagram here: https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view/4da036a4-512d-1735-82af-2f2b0a00093e/0_0

However, I think this may still not work or might be overkill. The ethernet drops aren't in every room. I'm also not sure how I'd get power to the switch or MoCA device outside...

I'm thinking of maybe removing the ethernet stuff from the equation and just using the MoCA devices... anyone see an issue with this? Then I can just use the splitter outside...

I updated my diagram to show my 'current state' - I'm wondering if its even worth trying to get my CAT5e working since it doesn't run to every room.:
https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view/4da036a4-512d-1735-82af-2f2b0a00093e/0_0

• Does using the CAT5e give me any advantages over ethernet over Coax?
  • What are my options to get my internet from inside bridged outside so I could even attempt to use my CAT5e lines?

I don't have all the MoCA devices yet - but this is where my head at... So I guess it's actually a 'slight' future state. I'd also like to increase the wireless strength in my house, so I'm thinking of adding a second wireless router...

Even if I can figure out how to bridge the CAT5e - my game room and living room don't have ethernet drops... so I think I might still need to use coax for those...

Aug 25, 2019
So - the only problem is that while I could get the outdoor switch with PoE - since coax is going to be the thing that feeds that internet (because I need to get the internet from inside the house to outside) - I'm not sure how I'd get power to the switch (could the power be supplied from any ethernet connection to the switch, or does it have to be the uplink?) -

The uplink CAT5e will also supply the power, you would use a PoE injector on your uplink to the PoE Switch, supplying both the data and power. If you need more than one switch, you would use the PoE passthrough on the switch to uplink and power to the next. You might even to be able to get a third with the right voltage/wattage injector.

Added* I would go with Cat6 to the rooms that do not have Cat5e over the RG6. In the future Cat6 will be needed. The price point isn't much higher. If you are able to pull Cat6 using the Cat5e that would be even better, but if cost is an issue I would still stick to running the 2 drops using Cat6.

Aug 24, 2019
The uplink CAT5e will also supply the power, you would use a PoE injector on your uplink to the PoE Switch, supplying both the data and power. If you need more than one switch, you would use the PoE passthrough on the switch to uplink and power to the next. You might even to be able to get a third with the right voltage/wattage injector.

Added* I would go with Cat6 to the rooms that do not have Cat5e over the RG6. In the future Cat6 will be needed. The price point isn't much higher. If you are able to pull Cat6 using the Cat5e that would be even better, but if cost is an issue I would still stick to running the 2 drops using Cat6.

Hmmm.... I still struggle with "where is the uplink to the switch coming from?" - usually the answer is "from inside the house" - which sounds like I need to run additional able from inside to outside where I'd put a PoE switch like you mentioned.

I was trying to do this without putting a hole in that wall to the outside (this is a tough sell with the wife). It sounds like I'd need to do something similar if I was going to run Cat6a to the game room/living room.

Aug 25, 2019
Hmmm.... I still struggle with "where is the uplink to the switch coming from?" - usually the answer is "from inside the house" - which sounds like I need to run additional able from inside to outside where I'd put a PoE switch like you mentioned.

I was trying to do this without putting a hole in that wall to the outside (this is a tough sell with the wife). It sounds like I'd need to do something similar if I was going to run Cat6a to the game room/living room.

Not knowing your access abilities, example crawl space or attic access, it is hard to say. But one cable through the wall can be done pretty easily with very little notice if you have the right wall plate and box.

Wall Outlet
https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-LV...or+electrical&qid=1566777594&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Keystone Wallplate
https://www.amazon.com/DCFun-Ethern...81&s=gateway&sprefix=Keystone,aps,166&sr=8-32

Long Drill Bit
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BL2739...39&s=gateway&sprefix=3/8+long+,aps,160&sr=8-8

Coax Feed through for the outside
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Bushing-R...rds=Coax+Hole&qid=1566777847&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Aug 25, 2019
Also if Bedroom E and Game Room are right next to each other, sharing the same wall, I would just use a switch in Bedroom E and make a passthrough to the game room using two wall outlets one on each side.

Aug 24, 2019
Also if Bedroom E and Game Room are right next to each other, sharing the same wall, I would just use a switch in Bedroom E and make a passthrough to the game room using two wall outlets one on each side.

Yeah - all great points on getting the rooms that don't have ethernet to have it. The Office and Game room actually are right next to each other - so I could totally do that.

The living room ceiling is on a slope from where my roof is, so I don't think there's any attic or crawl space access, but - the ethernet that's in the kitchen is near adjacent to the living room - so I could either flip the wall that's on or just run the cable.

The bigger issue continues to be fixing my situation to make all of those ports live. The only answer seems to 'run another ethernet cable from in the craft room to the outside with a PoE injector to power a switch outside that the other cables feed into. :/

Aug 24, 2019
Yeah - all great points on getting the rooms that don't have ethernet to have it. The Office and Game room actually are right next to each other - so I could totally do that.

The living room ceiling is on a slope from where my roof is, so I don't think there's any attic or crawl space access, but - the ethernet that's in the kitchen is near adjacent to the living room - so I could either flip the wall that's on or just run the cable.

The bigger issue continues to be fixing my situation to make all of those ports live. The only answer seems to 'run another ethernet cable from in the craft room to the outside with a PoE injector to power a switch outside that the other cables feed into. :/

The only reason that running the cable from inside the craft room back outside is an issue, is that the outer wall is brick. Alternatively, if I need to put a hole to do this, then I could run the existing cables inside and pull them in and run the switch inside.

I think if that's my only option to do this, that's a job I should pay someone else to do...

Aug 25, 2019
The only reason that running the cable from inside the craft room back outside is an issue, is that the outer wall is brick. Alternatively, if I need to put a hole to do this, then I could run the existing cables inside and pull them in and run the switch inside.

Still not being able to see the wall, I feel that there might be a great possibility that AT&T has already supplied you with a hole. I would take off their wall plate or box, most likely, and see how large of a hole they made to ran their wiring through, all you need is to get one CAT cable back out.

Aug 24, 2019
Still not being able to see the wall, I feel that there might be a great possibility that AT&T has already supplied you with a hole. I would take off their wall plate or box, most likely, and see how large of a hole they made to ran their wiring through, all you need to is get one CAT cable back out.

AT&T when they came out just co-opted one of the existing Cat5e drops in the room they install the stuff into. They didn't run any new cabling from inside to outside, just re-terminated what was already there. My fear, and I haven't fished around in the wall, is that all of this was done and routed before they put the drywall on during framing and that utilizing the existing holes will be... difficult.

Aug 25, 2019
Well said, I missed that at first. Will if it were me I would get a long 3/16 1/4" mansary bit and drill through the mortar in a place from the outside, all after measuring to a place where I was sure there was not electric, water and so on. But I completely understand why someone wouldn't comfortable doing that. I wish you luck.

Edited for correction of information and grammar.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019
Well said, I missed that at first. Will if it were me I would get a long 3/16 1/4" mansary bit and drill through the mortar in a place from the outside, all after measuring to a place where I was sure there was not electric, water and so on. But I completely understand why someone wouldn't comfortable doing that. I wish you luck.

Edited for correction of information and grammar.

Thank you for validating that there isn't an easier way to solve this problem. I did a bunch of work on the coax lines and learned alot doing it (that being said I've still got some MoCA hardware coming that I might play around with... and return if I can find someone locally to do this work...)

I just put out a RFQ on homeadvisor for the work to bring those lines in or run a line outside. I'm thinking the former will be easier / less expensive than the latter when you factor in getting an indoor switch vs a PoE switch + PoE injector.

TRENDING THREADS